Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i boot backtrack 3 from cd and use its firefox to get on here cos there is a problem with my HDD. i get blue screen asking to run chkdsk on hard drive, but cant do it. my hard drive is samsung 60gb and i tried the es-tool, UTIL check, recovery consol cd...nothing worked. i do not have an xp cd. bios HDD self test (under diagnostics menu) said "read failure" in the very first, quick step.

whats a command similar to chkdsk in linux backtrack i could use? mind you im running my pc now thru the bootable backtrack 3 cd.
any software i can download to check what actually is wrong with my HDD? it shows in "storage" folder and i can open C drive, but how do i check it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, you can right click on your desktop and configure desktop on backtracktrack. then choose behavior, show device icons and scroll down and check off the unchecked boxes like the unmounted hard drive and so on. then you can go from there ? then you can mount all your storage devices. system menu storage devices. good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so i did that and now hard disk drive shows on desktop and it says mounted. now what command exactly do i use in shell console to check HDD?

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,514 Posts
I would open terminal and type the command man fsck. That will give you some help. If you still need help then I can come up with some commands for you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm ok..ill try that..i desperately need to get windows working to do my university assignments and need to know if i can slavage my current HDD or if i need to buy a new one, in which case ill have to buy a windows XP cd as well (product key is behind laptop if i need it though)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i mounted and the hard drive shows on desktop (60g media)..now whats the command for checking the hard disk? i tried fsck "path of filename" but it didnt work..i copied path by right clicking hard drive--->properties, and it was there. what should i do now??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i type that and it just says "fsck 1.39 (date)", and its back to the prompt again..whats that about??
i dunno why its so difficult to figure out whats wrong with my hard disk..just get a blue screen saying run chkdsk /F...and i cant get into windows..couldnt run EStool for samsung hard disks cos it was saying "now detecting..." for over 7 hours and didnt work. also tried xp revoery cd boot, but on pressing R it came to a dead end (please see my other post)...please i need to get this fixed soon..please give proper instructions how to check my hard disk in linux..it dont work...

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts
i type that and it just says "fsck 1.39 (date)", and its back to the prompt again..whats that about??
i dunno why its so difficult to figure out whats wrong with my hard disk..just get a blue screen saying run chkdsk /F...and i cant get into windows..couldnt run EStool for samsung hard disks cos it was saying "now detecting..." for over 7 hours and didnt work. also tried xp revoery cd boot, but on pressing R it came to a dead end (please see my other post)...please i need to get this fixed soon..please give proper instructions how to check my hard disk in linux..it dont work...

If Backtrack contains Ntfsutils then you can run ntfsfix to try and fix the errors. ( I am assuming you formatted it as NTFS and not Fat32).

Alternatively you can try and recover data using Photorec or Testdisk and then try reformatting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ive given up using linux to fix this problem, for the moment. let me try out the other method first. thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.