Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member to the forum Will try to make this as concise as possible.
The computer is a Windows XP Pro based with multiple partitions using a Fat 32 file system: Dual boot with Windows 98 2nd ED for Dx use.
The problem:
When chkdsk is ran inside Windows xp it will find the following; " Windows found errors on the disk but will not fix them without the /F (fix)parameter ...\Windows\Prefetch\chkdsk.exe - 0C6DCB55.pf first
allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated. 2nd error - ....... \Windows\Prefetch\cmd.exe - 034B0549.pf first
allocation unit will be truncated . When it ask to convert files (Y/N) I answer Y. Rerun Chkdsk and of course the same problem occurs but sometimes it will find other errors; along with the previous ones. However, this time I don't allow it to convert files. Then Rerun chkdsk and schedule the /F to run on reboot. I proceed to reboot the computer and Chkdsk /F start as it suppose to, however it finds NO errors. Enter Windows XP as normal and run Chkdsk and the same errors occurs; then I proceed to schedule the chkdsk /F and no errors are found again when it runs. This is continual loop.
I think it started, not sure, when I had to format the partition and do a recovery of the drive via Norton Ghost V15 backup image file. However found the same problem on another computer but was able to fix it using one the following solutions : but not here!
ATTEMPTED FIXES 1)Ran Chkdsk /r,; 2) ran Chksdks /p /r (assumed) in the Recovery Console; 3) Deleted all files in the Prefetch folder via SafeMode; 4) Ran a clean boot; 5) Uninstalled one of the programs that Chkdsk listed in Windows XP when it ran; 6) Ran Scandisk from a dos prompt; None of these changed the scenario. Nothing worked.
Search to see if there was a solution but can't find any....last resort would be to do a Windows XP repair via the Installation Disk???. But am desperartely trying to avoid this ...not sure if will correct the problem number one and it means going through the hassle of re-registering a lot of the programs.
Does anyone know of a fix for this problem???? Thank you.

·
Banned
202 Posts
I dunno what all that meant, tbh it was pretty much a technical blur to me, but if I had weirdo messages from chkdsk and couldn't get it to act right, I'd run HDD Regenerator from the Hiren's Boot Disk to see if there are bad (and repairable) sectors causing problems.Also, if the data is here now, not here now, etc.... I'd be wondering if the power is bad.What's the make, model & power output of the PSU ? Have you checked the voltage both in BIOS and in Windows using 3rd party application like SpeedFan ?If, for example, you discover you've got 10.5 volts on your 12 volt rail, all these weird chkdsk scenarios become meaningless.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help....but I think that's what the Recovery Console did....it checks for bad sectors and repairs files in the sector from what I understand..

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Hi

You first mention running chkdsk in Windows XP and it finding errors. You cannot run chkdsk on the XP system volume inside of Windows so I assume you are running chkdsk on another partition and not your XP system partition?

So what partitions do you have (with drive letters) and what partition are you running chkdsk on (in Windows XP and recovery console)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AlberrMC2..I might not understand but I do run chkdsk from Drv C, the boot drive, whicn also holds the operating system - been able to do this on any & all computers that I own...agreed that you can't run chkdsk /f inside Windows XP.
Have Partitions C - N on 2 Sata Drives, one 1TB & the other 500GB. Partition K has another copy of Windows XP installed as a test and Dx Partition/OS.( Suggestion from a Microsoft Tech a number of years ago) Therefore have run Chkdks from the Recovery Console on both the Drv K & Drv C. Have also run chksdsk from Drv K - XP.

Dai...not sure what the switch d/load goes with and not sure I completely understand your help/suggestion ...are they all from the [url]www.tacktech.com[/URL]?? The brands of HD are both Western Digital. Also, if it helps, I did do a complete deletion of the Partition and re-create it/format before recovering the Ghost image backup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dai....ran the Western Digital DataLifeguard for Windows....hopefully that's what you meant and it came back with No problems

Dai & AlberMC2...This may sound stupid or strange, but it seems the errors that are being found via chkdsk are ONLY created when Window XP initiates and loads. Otherwise to programs that are outside the Windows enviroment and check it can't find the errors since Windows is not loaded. Is there a way to have XP lay dormant in the backround, i.e. running and then be able to run a comprehensive checking program such as Chkdsk /F???
It seems apparent that the problem errors hide themselves or if I may, disguise themselves and can't be found? Ugh!

·
Banned
202 Posts
I dunno what all that meant, tbh it was pretty much a technical blur to me, but if I had weirdo messages from chkdsk and couldn't get it to act right, I'd run HDD Regenerator from the Hiren's Boot Disk to see if there are bad (and repairable) sectors causing problems.Also, if the data is here now, not here now, etc.... I'd be wondering if the power is bad.What's the make, model & power output of the PSU ? Have you checked the voltage both in BIOS and in Windows using 3rd party application like SpeedFan ?If, for example, you discover you've got 10.5 volts on your 12 volt rail, all these weird chkdsk scenarios become meaningless.
All of this was good advice, and I reiterate it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jonny.....Not sure you caught my previous post @ the harddrive.....there is another copy of XP running on the same HD different partition. In theory wouldn't one expect that if it were a psu problem causing errors it would be reflected there also.....and that XP version runs find????...thanks

Dai..thank you I have run the chkdsk /r previously and did do it again...no change.By the way if I eventually have to try a repair, is there a chance that it will not eliminate this problem or will it disappear completely???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dai....Did AlbertMC2 give up on this problem? 2nd, can you briefly explain how Chkdsk works? I can find info on its workings with NTFS and the Master File Table but I have no luck finding any info how how it works with a FAT32 system. 3rd, finding the errors within XP and not outside with any programs could I be on the right track that only when loading XP are the errors produced? I suppose that there are consequences and will ultimately cause XP not to function correctly?? Last, thank you for your time and help....am I getting to the place where only a repair will help???

·
Banned
115 Posts
would hope a repair install would eliminate it,but no guarantees
Correct, because if the problem IS hardware, he'll be right back where he is even if the Repair Install appears to fix the problem at first, DESPITE the fact that several reasonable requests have been made for PSU information and in response there has been conversation instead of information.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those who are still "hunting" down the Power Source issue & have little faith, ...as I said it make no logical sense that a small portion of hard drive is the only part being affected by a major system as the psu...however that being said and to "ease the minds" the results are: THE SYSTEM READ BOTH INSIDE & OUT of windows right on point +12.00 Volts + all other readings are correct and the psu is a Corsair 750.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Hi

Have you tried to delete the whole prefetch folder in safemode not just the files inside of it? Windows will recreate it.
It is interesting the number of people with this exact problem, all seem to have FAT32, yet I can't find a definite solution but will carry on looking

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AlbertMC2.....yes it's amazing with all those with this problem there must be a common thread besides the FAT32....Right now all my computers, home & office are Fat32 except one which is NTFS and this one is the only one with the problem so far...Thank you for your tenaciousness and persistence it's nice to have you in our corner...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AlbertMC2....forget to add that I'm almost positive I tried to delete the Prefetch folder in Safemode but to make sure I will try that tomorrow .....to late now

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AlbertMC2.....had a chance to check deletion of the Prefetch folder in safemode and sorry to say it didn't change the problem. One thing, I did find is one of my office computers which is solely use by personal, has the same problem. However, with the office computer a couple of things are different and one the same. They are the same in that with both when running Chkdsk /f outside windows XP with autochk they both show NO errors. So my assesment that this is related to the loading of XP must be on the right check. Where the two are different, the office computer was able to be corrected by runnig chkdsk and allowing it to convert the errors and the errors in chkdsk were gone and didn't reappear.
Point of information for you, one thing that I stumbled on was that it seems to relate the some way the programs load in XP. Why I say this is that when running chkdsk most of the same application allocation errors appear and are for the most part seem to be those that are "stay resident" apps.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Hi again.

Finally from alot of searching!
From Microsoft sites:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457122.aspx
In addition, Chkdsk is prone to falsely reporting errors when in read-only mode, and it might report that a volume is corrupted even when no corruption is present
and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
Chkdsk might not accurately report information in read-only mode.
And I think this is what it is doing.
It goes on to say that chkdsk only runs properly when the volume can be locked:
To verify a volume correctly, the volume must be in a static state, and the only way to guarantee that state is to lock the volume. Chkdsk locks the volume only when you specify the /f, /r, or /x parameters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.