Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just recieved a free AMD Athlon 64 (AMD 4000) and the person I recieved it from said that I should get a NVIDIA chipset with the motherboard...

Now that beeing said will I also need a graphics card? Because I'm not really sure what Chipset means.

·
Registered
319 Posts
They probably meant to go with either the Nforce 3 or Nforce 4 chipsets. They've been known to be very reliable and exceptional overclockers. If you want to do any sort of gaming with this new computer, you'll definitely need a video card. The newest interface for video cards is PCI-Express, which runs on the Nforce 4 chipset. Make sure you do a lot of browsing and reading reviews before buying anything. And as always, you can post your questions here. :)

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
You will most likely get an nForce chipset. Most AMD boards have them, and you will probably end up with an nForce4. That doesn't mean it won't work with another chipset, like Via or SiS, but the nForce would be a better choice.

The chipset you will have will depend on your motherboard. it cannot be removed from the motherboard most of the time.

The chipset consists of the northbridge and southbridge. The these connect the CPU to the various devices on the motherboard. The northbridge connects high speed devices such as RAM and the video card. The southbridge connects lower speed devices, such as disk drives and PCI cards. The chipset, like the processor, is important in determining the speed and capabilities of a computer. That's why the nForce4 chipset is a good choice.

Some chipsets have IGPs, or integrated graphics processors in them. These will act as video cards, though they far lack the capabilities of a dedicated GPU, or graphics processing unit.

If you don't want to buy a dedicated graphics card, go with a chipset with a GeForce 6100 or 6150 northbridge. Remember, even if you get a chipset with an IGP, you can always add a GPU later on. The GeForce 61x0 northbridges are usually found on micro ATX boards, though. These are smaller than regular ATX boards.

I personally recomend getting an nForce4 chipset, and if you don't plan on gaming and don't want to spend a lot on a graphics card, just get a low end card, and upgrade later if necessary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.