Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to Forum - Glad I found it. :sayyes:
I have some different questions concerning Chassis Intrusion than what I have found in searching this site as well as others. I want to understand how it works and I really want to USE it.

The subject MBs are SuperMicro P3TSSA and P6SGA+ both with AMI BIOS, O/S is W2K Pro WS. SuperMicro offers a utility - Super Doctor III - that contains code to detect a Chassis Intrusion (CI) and also claims to be able to clear it. It provides for eMail or pager notification when a CI is detected. Sounds good - however, I have yet to figure out how it really works. On these boards the CI is a 2-pin jumper with 1 probably having a pullup to +Vsb and the other pin to ground. A CI is triggered by connecting (grounding) pins 1 and 2. When I do that, I do see a notification of a CI on the next boot.

This all implies there is some kind of API or a "reachable" place where the status of the CI latch can be read and manipulated. I would like to do exactly that. I have some specialized hardware that detects a true CI and turns on a solid state switch to crowbar some sensitive data and a second N/O solid state switch that I intend to connect to the CI input header pins.

When or if I detect a CI, I want to be able to display an informational message on the screen that a tamper has occurred and switch into a defensive posture. I'd would like to be able to programatically clear the condition, but do not care if we need to power down to recover since in order to recover the application two keys must be inserted in the power down condition.

So, that all being said, any an all help w.r.t. information, suggestions, code, times to meet for adult beverages for discussions etc. is greatly appreciated.

Thanks ... Abe .. Concord, NC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Later that day ... P6SGA is really P4SGA+

:1angel: Later the next morning: .....
In the original post last night I wrote _

>The subject MBs are SuperMicro P3TSSA and P6SGA+ both with AMI BIOS

I must have REALLY been tired! the P6SGA+ is really a P4SGA+
Actually, the P3TSSA is AMI and the P4SGA+ is an Award BIOS.

For the CI condition, the P4SGA book - which I did not have yesterday - shows an ENABLE and a CLEAR function. So that one is fine for a MANUAL operation. As far as the P3TSSA goes it it not nearly as important and finding a programming method to manipulate the CI on the P4SGA+ board.

One idea I had was to use the COM1 or COM2 internal connector and plug my CI input signal to say DTR. Some VB or C++ code could the provide a reading of the state of this signal. The CI input signal is created from a small board mounted in the enclosure that will store the tamper condition, display its status on the front panel with a bi-color LED, and requires the operation of two key locks to clear the tamper condition. The CI condition survives power transitions, since it is powered by the standby voltage and a fairly macho battery allows it to survive removal of the line cord and hence the Vsb.

While this idea may work, it does not inhibit booting until the tamper is cleared. So the preferred method is still to use the BIOS function which means an API function to touch the CI function would be nice.

.. sorry for the confusion .... abe
Concord, NC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.