Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to setting up a laptop as a 'family' unit with 3 different User accounts, I (administrator) installed programs which allowed access by 'all users of the computer'.

I have the 'Adminstrator' privileges.
The other 3 User accounts have been assigned 'Limited' accounts.

How do I 'take back' control of specific programs that I dont want the 'limiteds' to mess around with.

Hope I am being clear in what I would like to implement?

·
Biker/Geek
1,088 Posts
There is a program included within XP that allows very detailed control of users, though I'm not 100% its on XP Home, I have XP MCE, which is based on Pro... Type "gpedit.msc" into "Run." The Group Policy config utility should come up. If it does, do the following:

Expand "User Configuration" in the tree on the left, then expand "Administrative Templates" and click on "System." This should bring up a list on the right of settings. Among these you should be able to find "Don't Run Specified Windows Applications."

Once you have found that, double click on it. Then select the "Enable" radio button. This will allow you to click the "Show" button in the box below it. Click on the "Show" button. Then click "Add" on the right. Type in the name of the program, such as "WinWord.exe". Click OK and then apply. Repeat for more than one program. If this is done correctly, it should bring up an error of "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" when someone tries to run said program. This restricts the program on the account that it is done on, but I haven't tested it on a multiple user PC as I don't have one so if it doesn't suit you don't do it =P.

P.S. If someone knows a reason why this idea could cause problems, that I do not know of, pipe up! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.