Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help? i have just got a pc running xp from a friend but his name is still on the pc in the documents and settings folder.when i right click to rename his folder or try to delete it i get a message saying that this is a system folder and cannot be renamed or deleted.can anyone help?thanks

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
okay.... s/he is set up as a user, so to fix the documents and setting part of things go to control panels -> Users and delete him/her and add yourself... when you login as you , the documents and settings folder will have your name instead.

As for the computer and stuff, that was set up on installation, and would most likely involve registry editing, so I will leave that to someone more experienced in that area.

I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, :)

Try this, you have to use the regedit.exe program so be careful you will be directly editing your registry.

For changing Organization/Company:
In Registry key HKLM\Software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion, add or change the value named RegisteredOrganization, changing its current data of "whatever it is to a whatever you want.

For changing default name on the system:
In Registry key HKLM\Software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion, add or change the value named RegisteredOwner, changing its current data of "your friends name" to whatever you want. :)

Before attempting the above make sure you are logged in with administrative privileges, in XP you can be either a user or administrator to check and see what you are now goto:
Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Click once on your account from the choices given | On the next screen under you login icon in the upper right it will display whether the account is password protected or not and below that it will have your user status (Admin or User) if it says Administrator then your good to go if not, post back and ill take you through the additional steps you need to take. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.