Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be attempting to change a HDD in my daughter's Pavilion ez4800 on Tuesday when a new drive arrives from TigerDirect. They are sending me Phoenix software as well as a USB enclosure that is supposed to permit transfer of all files on the existing HDD.

I have never changed a HDD before so I would like a quick and dirty on the basics from someone who has. I have the disk removal down. It's simply two screws and a yank. Thus, no problem on the reinstall.

My questions are: how do you format a HDD prior to installing it into the notebook?

Has anyone ever used Phoenix software and a USB "enclosure" for this type of operation?

Thanks for taking the time to assist a well intentioned Bozo, who actually thinks this is doable at home. It'll save me over $200 on the price of having the "geek squad" at Best Buy do the work.

Regards,

Droll

T

·
0 Posts
don't let best buy do it

first make sure the notebook is totally off I usually unplug the power and yank the battery. Do you have an XP cd or recover cd that came with your notebook or do you have a recovery partion on the existing HD. If you have an xp cd or the recovery cd, just pop in the new HD, change your bios to boot from the cd reset your notebook, win xp will do one of 2 things , if the HD is unformatted it will go into loading xp and give you the option to format latter , if a partition is present xp will put up a message that says " press any key to boot from the cd " you press a key within 5 seconds and the xp loads, latter it will present you with the found partition, and options, more then likely in your case it will go into the install
if you have a recovery cd from the manufacturer, follow the directions for that

T

·
0 Posts
as far as the data recovery no I have not used that product, there is away to make an exact clone of your existing HD. It would envolve a desktop pc , ghost 2003 ( buy on ebay..do not get ver 9 , or newer then 2003 $10 or at pricegrabber.com ) , and two IDE 3.5 hd to notebook HD apapters ( about $9 ea) you would also need a blank floppy and a floppy drive on the desktop pc.

T

·
0 Posts
also if you have a recovery partition, there might be a way to create a "disk set "

I have an HP Media ctr desktop pc , that has a recovery partition. There is an option to create 1, disk set that can be used to recover the OS if the hd gets wiped and the recovery partition can not be accessed.
also when working on the desktop pull thee power cord

·
Registered
423 Posts
Installing an opperating system to a new hard drive on a laptop is not for the faint hearted nor should it be attempted by first timers. (No disrespect intended.)

Save yourself hours of grief and let a qualified techie do it for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi
i have a hp pavillion dv 9000, it has 2 disk drives, one of them ,them bootable one is broken, can I change it with the other one? I tried to install the windows on the other one, it worked, but the computer doesn't see this drive when booting. What shoul I do? Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.