Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I have had my pc for a couple of years putting up with problems when i use a mass storage device or printer connected. The PC frezzes with no errors.
I have found out it is a problem with the chip set handling USB 2.
I have provided this buy deslecting usb 2 in cmos set up and using just 1.1.
But the transfer rate is so slow.
The mother board i have is a N force4-A939 and my processor is AMD athlon 64X2 dual core processor 4200+. I have a pci graphics card with VGA and HDMI.

I what to change the motherboard because i am fed up with it.
The borad i am thinking about fitting is ASUS M3A78 PRO 780G Socket AM2+ onboard.

Will this be compatible with my processor?
I have noted there is a on borad vga will it be okay to install my vga/hmdi card?

Any help or thoughts would be great.

Thanks
Rob :wink:

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
We can help you select another board, but are you sure that you have covered all issues with the USB 2.0 scenario first? If you could get this one to work, it might be your best solution since this technology is getting older and you would not be putting money out for a new motherboard.

Let us know what you wish to do (try to get issues solved or move to a new board) and then we can go from there.

BTW, your 939 board and the AM2 selection would not be compatible unless you replace both the board and the CPU, so that is something to consider.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Start out by telling me if there are any red or yellow marks in the device manager in the USB area, and if so were are they?

(start, control panel, system, hardware, device manager, scroll down to the USB area)

Then, open the USB area with the + sign and tell me if there is an item under that area entitled "Enhanced" in there. It might just be one word, but I need to know that.

Then, tell me if you have all the chipset drivers (motherboard disk) installed?

Also, do you have at least SP2 installed on this unit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no red or yellow marks in the usb area.
There is nothing marked Enhanced.
I have all win xp updates.
I have installed the motherboard disk which came with machine

I have this problem from when I bought it new.
The manufacture kept telling me it was software i had installed.
After a few years putting up with it, I contacted them again and they told me it was a problem with the chipset on the motherboard. So i asked them to replace it as it was faulty from new, there reply was it was outside warranty.

There told me to disable the on board usb in the Bios and install a usb/pci card.

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
If it is a bad chipset problem (USB area) on the motherboard there isn't much you can do except put an aftermarket card in there. If some of the following down't produce anythng, then you may need to do that.

BTW, are you certain you have either SP2 or SP3 loaded, because you must to have if you want USB 2.0?

Have you checked the manufacturer's web page to make sure there is not a BIOS update that might include something about USB 2.0?

Have you reloaded your chipset drivers from the motherboard disk?

Have you tried deleting all USB devices and then letting the board find them again?

You can do this by this method:

• Unplug all USB items

• Start

• Control Panel

• System

• Hardware

• Device Manager

• View

• Show Hidden Devices

• Scroll down to the USB area and open it with (+)

• Right click on each item and Uninstall all that you have with that option

• Reboot and let the computer find the USB items.
  • Shut down and Plug items back in and test it by booting up.
.​

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
I have just formated my pc and done all the updates inculding sp3.

I might just change the motherboard but i am not sure what to buy.

Shall I buy a more up to dated mother board and cpu, Which do you recomend. We use the pc alot for photo, videos,music and web.

thanks
Rob

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
First of all, did you try the delete trick as I mentioned above.

Second, if you update much here is what you face:

1) You need a new CPU to get the AM2 board.

2) You need a new motherboard for AM2.

3) It is likely you will need new memory for the new Board since they are different.

The other choice is to get another 939 board if you can find one. One of the best 939 boards IMHO is the Asus A8n-sli deluxe boards. However, all of the A8n series boards is rock solid, but they are hard to find since they aren't made anymore. You might try Ebay for one that is advertised on there.

Therefore, already you are working on buying outdated parts if you get another 939 board, and AM2 is not set for the future to be great guns for very long. Tough decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi
I have had a look on e bay and for the cost of a second hand motherbroad is about £50 and i will not pay that for something second hand.

I think it is time to upgrade my pc, I have found this motherboard ASUS M3N78 PRO GeForce 8300 Socket AM2+ onboard graphics 8 channel audio ATX which is priced around £65, Is this a good motherbroad?
What sort of Cpu do you recommend and what do i need to look for in the Ram, I currently have ddr fitted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.