Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an Inspiron 530. Over time I've upgraded the power supply to a Corsair ATX 450, installed a HIS Radeon 6850, and upgraded to Win7. I'm a little worried about possible heat problems and cards in the future that won't fit in the case. The 6850 is a tight squeeze in the my case so I want to get a Three Hundred. I also want to get a new motherboard so I can overclock my Q6600 but I don't want to get one yet. The problem is, I'm not sure if I can change the dell motherboard or even move the dell motherboard to a new case since dell is pretty restrictive on changing their system. I want to get a new case first because I'm kind of low on money, and change the motherboard later. Will the dell motherboard work with a new case?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so let's say I can't put the motherboard in a new case. If I save up for both a motherboard and case (hopefully soon) it should be no problem? The CPU is a Q6600 so I'm pretty sure id be able to take that out of the dell mobo and put it in a new one? And the other hardware besides the mobo? Also is a 775 mobo/CPU good for the next 2 years or so?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The Q6600 should wotk on an aftermarket Mobo with no problems but you will have to do a Repair Install, preferably a fresh install, of the OS. You will need a retail version of the OS to accomplish that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool cool well thats good to know. I might just wait until am3 CPU and motherboard goes down a bit in price. Maybe get a phenom ii x4 and a good mobo. I'm having trouble finding a good standard atx 775 mobo.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
After rereading your OP I noticed the 450W PSU. Your first purchase needs to be a more powerful PSU. 650W minimum for the 6850 GPU.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I guess I'll just have to save up. Gonna be a lot of moolah. I want a new case, motherboard, and cpu. And considering the new mobo I'll probably be getting will be DDR3 I'lll have to get new RAM. And a new power supply. Pretty much a whole new computer but I do need a custom built PC. How is this power supply? It says Core i7 Compatible. Does that mean only Core i7?
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.