Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my HD in 2 partitions. Is there a way to increase a certain one?

C:\ = 71GB (45GB free)
D:\ = 2GB (300MB free) (windows drive)

Could I transfer some space over to the D:\ (for obvious reasons!) without formatting the drive again???

Cheers,
tino

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
You'll need a 3rd party partitioning package, or space to backup the whole drive somewhere else. Of course, you should have backup anyway... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnwill said:
You'll need a 3rd party partitioning package, or space to backup the whole drive somewhere else. Of course, you should have backup anyway... :rolleyes:
Em...em....not quite :no:
Sorry, I know I am rather thick but its a real problem :(

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
what?

what the hell?

Em...em....not quite
i dont understand that at all

he said you need a third paty software... unless you want to destroy all the data on the drive.

well, you do

he said you should have backups anyways

well, you should

i dont see the problem with his answer.

or you could use your brain, and borrow a big hard disk from someone and use it to hold your precious data while you use the ever so famous 'Fdisk' to rip your drive a new one.

~BoB~

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't have a problem with his answer?
I was just meaning I don't have/do either of those things?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure. I like the sound of a 3rd party partitioning package though! Ill find out.

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
tino said:
Not sure. I like the sound of a 3rd party partitioning package though! Ill find out.
Check into Partition Magic, I think you'll like the look of it better after that. In truth, what I'd recommend at this point is for you to consider a second disk as a backup! You can spend the $70 or so on a second disk, and then check this link for Norton System Works 2003 at $10, and use GHOST to do the job. Make compressed images of the two partitions on the second disk, then repartition the first one and restore the images. It's harder than Partition Magic, but after you're done you have a second disk for real backups, which is a real good idea.

I'm always amazed when folks come in and talk about how concerned they are about losing their data, yet they have absolutely no backup of any kind! Hard disks can, and do fail at a moment's notice, they're one of the least reliable things in your computer! Not having a backup makes absolutely no sense to me! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers!
I get what you mean - but to be honost I aint a 'wizard' so making backups would seem like an impossibility before trying to do such a thing. I know I could probs manage it though, just be worried of screwing things worse. When I get some spare cash (GF's b/day recently!!) then I think ill buy another disk (and soundcard :))

Thanks again,
Tino

G

·
Yup I agree with you john.

I'd like to have a buck for everytime I've asked people if they had backups of their important stuff. Usually the response is the same, They give you that bewildered look knowing that they screwed up. Then they usually say something witty like I didn't think I'd need one......Duh

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
Well, I did put in the backup pitch before the data disappeared, but it's up to someone else to act on it. :D

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
sheet

johnwill, i do absolutely agree that hard disks fail, and that backups are crucial.

i dont have a single thing on my machine that needs to be backed up. i keep all my important things in backup state, so i can whip out one or the other disc with it on it and yay! my data is there.

people dont think about the fact that a hard disk is made to fail. people dont understand how bad you would feel if your disk went to heaven in the night, and all your data with it. i sometimes get ahold of old non working machines, and restore them to a working order for people who need them, and most often it is a bad hard disk that was the cause of the machines demise.

hard disks are definately the PC's weakest link, hopefully someday that will change, but untill then, i would recommend keeping your data on a pair of cd's, kept in seperate locations.

with the advent of the burner, cd backups are really becoming a big thing, and i can see why.

cd's dont just fail, not unless you step on them or something. thats why i make doubles.

im not trying to preach, but this backup subject makes me feel like i am fighting a losing battle. sorta like trying to get my friends to stay away from meth, i can tell them how serious and bad it is, but they are the ones who have to see it for themselves.

Back-up, We Love You!
(sorta a parody of 'Buckle-up, We Love You')
~BoB~

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't leave your CD-R with your backup's on you desk. Only a matter of time before the sun write some new bit'n'bytes over the top.

Make a Backup of the things that are the most important at the very least. Same goes for the numbers in your mobile. Only a matter of time before it gets nicked too......

:cheers: :sleep:

Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.