Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing Drive letter

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Tumbleweed36 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to change the letter of my drive? I formatted a disk which ended up being my F drive. I would like to change it to "C".

Thanks

#2 ·
Right click on my computer and click on manage. Navigate to Storage > Disk Management > right click on the disk you want to change and click on change drive letter. Then just click change and make it what number you want. click ok and your done.

#3 ·
There's no point changing it if you installed Windows on when the drive was F. It cannot change the registry entries, the program entries and any directory position. Furthermore I don't think its possible to change the "current" bootup OS drive while in use.

#7 ·
Hi,

Just remember, you can not re-assign the letter of the drive with your system information on it or the drive with the Windows boot up files on it. Once your boot drive is assigned a letter, then you keep that letter unless you reinstall to either that drive or another drive. You can change the letter of any other drive, but not that one. Therefore, you will have to re-install as PanamaGal has advised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.