Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I give up; currently, my default landing place 4 downloaded files in XP Pro is My Docs. I would like it 2 B Desktop.....now doing this by changing the name of the file so file will save there.

I know it must be simple, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks!
Jill

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
OK, I give up; currently, my default landing place 4 downloaded files in XP Pro is My Docs. I would like it 2 B Desktop.....now doing this by changing the name of the file so file will save there.

I know it must be simple, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks!
Jill
Hello Jill,
There's an easy way that i use and this is it...

Firstly create a new folder to wherever you want to 'Save' your downloads to [I have a D: Drive so I created various ones there.]

Once you have created this folder and named it what you want, every time you download a program or whatever, always click on Save As, then navigate to the folder you want it "saved to", and Bob's your Uncle...Hey Presto its in there when the download is finished.
One other point, do not choose open when the download completes, just Close; then navigate to your chosen folder and Right click on it and scan it with your anti virus; once this is done [and its clean] right click on it again and go Properties, and "Unblock" > OK....Now you can double click on it and install it, and you will always have the original file in this "saved" location as well.

Hope this answers your query.

:4-cheers:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It DOES, DAVID!!! Answer it.....aaaaaan....made me feel way bettah that is is not some duh thingy everyone knows and I could not figure out!
I need to keep reminding myself that this is an operating system, not an inscrutable, intelligent, living being. Nor....was it gestated by one! Hah. Dissing Gates makes me feel bettah.

Thank U! Now will print this out....My Epsons nevah have chance to use their blue ink and now they will!

Jill

PS: Yr post reminded me that given I am always in big hurry....I often don't even choose to save a download, but sometimes "run"...yeah, terrible. And maybe only use AVg 2 scan a dowloaded file 1 n 10 times. Yeah...more bad.

Monday, my new LIghtscribe optical drive will arrive!!!!! So, just earlier, I loaded the Nero which I found with my Alien...into desktop, upgraded it from their site.....it doesn't know it is in a Dell now, it is SOFTWARE, ok? But for all 4 elements of the upgrade, I chose "run" not park/save. But I nevah had a virus; I have every carefully chosen anti on earth. I know, David, do not say it...I am pushing my luck.

I will be more careful.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
If you use Firefox go to tools/options/main and direct it to save to the location you want

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank U, Brian....I use IE7 & AOL.....am not up to the GOOD browsers yet.

Jill

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...And David is seeing Koalas with kinder eye, right? lolHave hard copy of your post right in front of me in my doc holder I made....thanks again! Soon I will be way more careful.

Maybe even in this decade!

Jilly

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Changing Downloaded File Target [Resolved]

Hi Jill,

That's no problem at all.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Now that this issue has been resolved, this thread is now CLOSED.

:wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.