Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm new to these forums, but I'm sure I'll be here frequently in the coming weeks. I have recently purchased an old Nvidia Geforce 2 Card from Office Depot. The card works great for my two monitors, but when I play a game (alright, that's the real reason I bought it...) the framerate is worse than before the upgrade from my Intel Chipset. My "AGP" Intel Chipset is one with the motherboard, and the various tech support agencies told me to "simply disable your AGP Port (for the old card) in your BIOS". Unfortunately, I have no idea how to a) change anything in my BIOS and b) how to even access my system's BIOS in the first place! I have Windows ME and my computer is a Hewlett Packard Pavillion. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

To access your BIOS you need to reboot your PC and when it starts up press F8 I believe? Or look for a function key that when the PC boots up.

And to get the update for the chipset you would probably need to go to the maker of the motherboard to download it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
its F2 not F8...F8 goes into safe mode...when the pavillion start there is a HP diagnostic splash screen with the number keys you should hit to manual boot, run diag or enter set up...you want to enter the set up.. I belive F2...carefule what chanes you make it there...o even try HP tech support before you do...if you screw up thoes setting you can toast your system...to a degree...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More problems... I know what you're talking about, but there is no splahs screen. When turned on the computer has a screen with the HP logo, which goes directly to the Windows loading screen then on to the desktop. I tried both F2 and F8 at the HP logo screen, but no luck. Is there any way I can access my BIOS thru DOS? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
no the bios come before DOS...there is no setup option ???

check you manual or...give me the model number and serial number in a PM and ill call HP tommrow...to get the key

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Thanks DOONZ! That got me into the setup! Unfortunately, for me, "AGP Ports" aren't available there, and I'm not sure what (or if) my on-board video card that is interferring with my Geforce 2 has an IRQ or what its number is. So I left the setup without saving anything about devices. I also fixed some RAM issues while I was there... which just improved everything! Thanks a lot for your help, guys!

Does anyone also know how I can contact Intell to get the port number of my on-board chipset (Intell 812000 Graphics Controller)? All I can get with their tech support number/e-mail from my manual is about Pentium problems-it seems that my system is so antiquated (a year and a half) they don't cover their old Graphics Chips anymore, since many manufacturers (including HP) have gone over the Nvidia on the newer models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.