Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using Office 2019. In an earlier thread (Which is now closed), a member posted instructions that explained how to do this. They are shown below. My problem is that I can't get past the 1st line in these Instructions. How do I open Display Properties>Appearance>Advanced?

Jim B.

In Display Properties>Appearance>Advanced, under "Item", I selected "Window" and changed the color to a light grey (it was white). Now when I select cells, they show as a darker grey. I hope to get used to the silvery background, but at least I can see the multiple cell selections I've made.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello

I think that they mean the Display Properties when you right-click on your Desktop. It's not on Office directly. They probably used W7 or W8. I don't recall that to be a thing on W10.

They then changed the "Window" color/theme and it apparently changed the color of the outline of selected cells.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. I'm using Windows 10 64 bit. I right clicked on the desktop and opened display settings. There wasn't anything similar to the selection shown in the above instructions.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. That's not quite what I'm looking for. I have borders around all the cells in my spreadsheet. When I select one or more of those cells, I would like to see either the border or the fill color change to a different hue. When I select a cell or cells with no border around them a temporary thick border forms around them. I would be happy if the borders around the selected cells would just become temporarily thicker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TrumpExcel provided a video that may help you here Highlight Active Row and Column in Excel (Based on Cell Selection)

The video demonstrates using conditional formatting to accomplish this and includes a macro to update the highlighting upon changing the selection.
(The macro eliminates the need to press F9 to update conditional formatting after selecting a cell.)

I use this method in many spreadsheets with conditional formatted borders to highlight the selected cell, row, and column.

The conditional format rule formula presented formats the row and column of the selected cell using the OR function.
To highlight only the selected cell - Change the formula "OR" to "AND" to conditionally format only the selected cell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts