Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in a brand new motherboard, CPU and memory module into my older computer. I got everything hooked up, but it won't POST. The fans turn for about a second, then nothing. What could be the problem? What is the solution?

By the way, it is a ECS K8M800-M2 motherboard with an AMD 64 3000+ CPU. I am running WinXP. All the hard drives, power supply, and optical drives were the same from the old computer and were in working order before the switch.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

P

·
0 Posts
Did you replace the motherboard or did you put in a new motherboard ?
Can you try a different cpu ( hope you have your old one ) on your motherboard ?
Refer to your motherboard manual and check the jumper settings too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a new motherboard. I cannot try a different CPU, the old mobo had a different socket.

By the way, I cleared the CMOS jumper for about an hour, still the same problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried unplugging everything except the hard drive. Still the same resut: the CPU fan turns for a second. Then nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think I should replace the PSU for a higher wattage? What is the minimum for a AMD 64 3000+? Is it possible that the mobo is touching the case and casing a short?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings
3 things
1st thing.....how is your power supply? age/make/size?
2nd thing.... install the system outside the case, on cardboard, to check for an electrical short issue..use a paperclip to jump the motherboard-switch pins.
3rd thing...try popping the cmos battery out for 30 minutes, while its unplugged

if it is an underpowered supply, it will need a replacement
check your requirements here
and add 20 to 30 % on top of the load total

By the way, it is a ECS K8M800-M2 motherboard
check for discolored or dusty caps on the motherboard
post back

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replaced the PSU (added a brand new 430 W). Still no change. Hmmmmm. I am really stumped. What else can I try? Should I try booting up from cardbaord tlike suggested?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it to POST. I re-installed the CPU made sure it was set right. Made sure the heatsink and artic silver was on properly. And it POSTed.

Now another problem. Windows will not load. It automatically restarts after POST. Never gets to Windows screen. Won't start either Normal or Safe Mode.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

The problem here is most likely that you used the old hard drive without preparing it for a new computer. The computer is looking for the old motherboard and it is gone.

At this point, it looks like you will have to do a clean format and install of the Operating System. A hard drive from an old computer simply will not install on a new board and take off due to different chipsets and chipset drivers.

That is my best guess from what you said earlier.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Way to go Anthony. Don't be a stranger around here now. Drop in from time to time and if you see someone else with this problem, lend them a hand.

Oh, forgot to mention, if you want to save your data, put this drive in as a slave after you get your new one set up, and you will be able to save a lot of the things that would be lost with a new format and install.

Have a great evening and enjoy your computer.

P

·
0 Posts
I am late to the party :) if it was a replacement you wouldnt have the problem. ( still tehre are some instances that people do have problems tho but generally not ) Glad everything is working. Now place a dynamite right underneath the HD... J/K :D

regards.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.