Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wrking on a XP machine remotely with IE 8 his default homepage had been switched to Dell he was wanting it switched back. I went thru the steps in internet options and was unable to change it. Everytime I change it, it goes back to dell.com. I thought its protected by something like their antivirus. They use trend on line and i never saw any setting, I also thought thought superantispyware maybe protecting it but it was not installed. I set the browser to defaults and it still did not change. However I did not check the delete personal settings. I'm going to try that monday when I reconnect. Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked for spybot and did not see it. howeevr I checked the hosts file and it's exceptions was listed there. I looked for that reg key but did not see it. perhaps i was looking at the wrong place. Ill look at that location monday. Do I delete the file if its there?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,412 Posts
Don't delete the key. Just put in the desired start page.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,879 Posts
Make it easy on yourself. In Internet Options, Control Panel, Advanced, "reset IE settings" and then set the page to whatever you like and hit "apply" and "ok".

·
TSF Emeritus
15,080 Posts
Sorry I should have explained better:

Click Start => Run => type in Notepad, press Ok.

Please copy everything from the quote below into Notepad

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Start Page"="http://www.google.com/"
Save this as fix.reg, Choose to 'Save type as' as All Files. Save it to your desktop.
It should look like this:

Double click on fix.reg & allow it to merge into the registry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.