Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

A few days ago, I had some problems with a virus and malware, and one your friends helped me to resolve the issue. The details are here in case you'd like to see:

www.techsupportforum.com/security-c...ed-virus-spyware-protect-2009-a-new-post.html

After that, in order to make sure the problem doesn't happen again, among other things, I ran Secunia OSI. It identified several programs as insecure and asked me to update them (Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and a few others). Since some wouldn't upgrade automatically to the newer versions I started removing them through Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. After I removed ZoneAlarm, the Change/Remove buttons all disappeared. To resolve this, I looked around, and one of the suggestions people had made was to save the file in line 337, second column, located in this page: www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and clicking on it.

I saved the linked .reg file, and clicked on it. It just opened with NotePad and nothing else happened.

I reinstalled one of the programs that I had uninstalled (Adobe Flash), and that one has now the Remove button in front of it, but the others still don't have the buttons.

I'll greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have.

Thanks!
Yahoot

P.S. Sorry for the links. I tried to remove the hyperlinks, but they keep coming back even when I disable "Automatically parse links in text".

Hardware: Intel Pentium III

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Coolfreak,
Thank you very much for getting back to me.

I ran the fix, and double-clicked on the .reg file, but alas, it still opened with Notepad.
Do I need to reboot the system for the fix to take effect?

Yahoot

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
No, when you double click a .reg file - it should import itself into the registry, not opening up in notepad. This means your file association is messed up. We will try to fix this for you :smile:

Alright - first:

1. Click Start, Run, type in: RegEdit.exe
2. In Registry Editor click File, Import.
3. Navigate and select the .reg file that was in the .zip file you downloaded from the link I provided.

Once this is done, reboot the PC. Now, your .reg files should automatically now import themselves into the registry. (Without having to go into regedit)

Double click the first .reg file you have (To fix the add/remove problem). Hopefully, it will automatically import itself instead of opening up in notepad.

Please post back with any problems or concerns. Keep me updated!

-Coolfreak

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Coolfreak,
I did those, but unfortunately, the file association is still messed up. The .reg file still has the icon of a text file, and double clicking on it just opens it in NotePad.

Yahoot

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hello,

it should be a reg file, I looked it up.

Ok heres what to do:

First put that .txt file in to my documents folder this is where we will work on it.
(the one from kelly korner suppose to be a reg file).

Now right click on blank area
a menu will open or should
go to new
wordpad document
now open the text file go to Edit tab and select all (everything should be highlighted)
right click anywhere on the blue and select copy
now open wordpad document and right click select paste
now click on the file tab and choose save as
simply put .reg next to file name and click save
should be a registry file now
click on it now and it should ask you if you want to save it to the registry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Riskyone101,
I followed your instructions and the new file saved to the registry. Unfortunately, I still don't have the Change/Remove button in Add/Remove Programs.

-Yahoot

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Coolfreak,
Thank you for pointing out the article. I looked at that location in the registry. The only programs that show up under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Uninstall

are
Adobe Flash Player ActiveX and Adobe Flash Player Plugin (in Add/Remove these two have two buttons, Change, and Remove). Besides these two, In Add/Remove, there is one program that has one button (Change/Remove), and one that has two buttons (Change, and Remove) but neither of these two shows up in that location in the registry. The rest of programs in Add/Remove don't have any buttons and don't show up in the registry.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Hmm... Your best bet would probably to be to reinstall the programs. Although it may take time - it would fix your problem. My guess would be that when you were attacked with the malware, it messed up some files. Although the malware itself is gone, it has done some of its damage.

Best of luck!

-Coolfreak

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I could be wrong, but I think everything went haywire after I uninstalled ZoneAlarm. Uninstalling the insecure stuff seemed to be going pretty well before that and the buttons were all there.

Without the remove buttons, is there any other way to reinstall those programs (if they don't have an "uninstall" wizard) ?

Is there anyway to "repair" Windows?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Coolfreak, RiskyOne101, and Captainmark,
I very much appreciate your suggestions. I think Revo will help me take care this problem.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Yahoot

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I hope it does! Please report back with any problems or if you have solved the problem - you can mark this thread as Solved by clicking Thread Tools near the top right of this thread.

Take it easy,

-Coolfreak

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.