Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is a really trivial question. I would like to get my LAST ex-wifes name off as registered owner of the old computer I have which is now running Windows 98. I haven't been able to find anywhere to change it in control panel or anywhere else. The name comes up in the properties when I open MY Computer, & also appears as athe writer of Word programs. I also have not been able to get rid of the annoying logon message when starting the computer. I have gone to the network settings section & changed to "windows logon" but hasn't helped. Thanks

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hello and welcome to the board,

A simple registry hack will take care of it:

Reg Key: HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion

change the value of RegisteredOwner from whatever it is to whatever you want it to be.

You will need to use regedit.exe to view your systems registy, make sure you only change what I listed above, if you have any questions about what to do ask BEFORE changing the registry, improper modification can leave your system a paperweight. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot! The solution worked great. Any suggestion about the logon message at each startup? As I said, I have changed the network setting in the control panel to "windows logon"

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
For the logon window, do you enter a password or select cancel?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hit "cancel" & it goes away. I was able to stop it from appearing at startup on another computer running Win98 by changing from "client for microsoft" to "windows logon" in the control panel under Network. Hasn't worked on this one. I toggled between the 2 & restarted to try & get it to take the change to "windows logon" & not appear, but hasn't worked. If I go back into control panel, it still says "windows logon", so is not changing back by itself or anything.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Try this. Instead of cancel select ok. If the password is blank, windows will start and should not ask for a password. If the password is not blank and you do not know it, just change the user id and leave the password blank. After this, Windows should boot without asking for a password.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! That did work. I don't get the password prompt at startup. I changed the logon name, wouldn't let me leave it blank, & now the logon name appears in the start menu as being logged on. However, I can live with that:) Thanks.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
last but not least...find the profile....for her and delete that as well...I belive it is under windows profiles...go start-- find-- look for type (first three or four letters of her name) .* and look in make sure it says C:... Then look at what it finds...Should be a folder with her name on it...delete it...(look through it might have some intresting documents:angel:) along with any cookies that come up (her name)@ website...this is why people should not throw away systems till they clean them.... :winkgrin:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
by trade!!!

Reminded me of the time....
was working on this "friends" system....she asked me to do a little clean up on it....OH man....what a "crazy" person...it is deffintley the quiet one you gotta watch out for:winking:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys. I searched for her name, couldn't find any profile or anything. May have lost everything like that when I upgraded from Win95 to Win98 on that computer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.