Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have 2 desktop PCs. My main and my older one are connected to the internet through the same router, thus they have the same external IP. Basically I want to know if it is possible to give my older one a different external IP, or if that isn't possible, could I buy a second router or modem or something?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is usually possible depending on the router which connects you to the internet. It is usually a configuration setting in the router fierwall settings but it depends on the make and model. It might be easier to answer if you specified why you need to do this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have a few siblings and my main PC is a brand new gaming rig so I moved my semi old gaming rig to the next room over. My one younger brother tries to hack in CSS, which I don't really care about, but now he is trying to get me to lend him paypal money so he can buy wow glider which is this bot thing for wow. I read some stuff on it and some people have said that they've lost more than one account because they have traced the accounts through the IP. I've been playing wow for 3 years and I'd be extremely mad if I lost my account. I've been thinking that the only way my brother is going to stop is if he gets banned and learns his lesson, and I don't want to suffer the consequences with him knowing he'll get the money somehow or pirate it or something, and it will be better in the long run if he tries to do stuff behind my back. Right now I have a gateway router, I can get the model and make if you need to know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Consumer ISP usually gets 1 IP address and consumer routers translate all outgoing connections to that address.

For example:
Your computer with 192.168.100.2 gets translated to 64.233.167.99, but what is really happening is that it is getting translated to 64.233.167.99:5306. The 5306 is a port number.

You want to go to TSF.com and your friend who is also on your network wants to go to TSF.com
IP Address: Translated IP Destination
192.168.100.2 >>> 64.233.167.99:5309 72.52.249.60:80
192.168.100.3 >>> 64.233.167.99:5310 72.52.249.60:80

Now when traffic comes in your router knows that anything from 72.52.249.60:80 destined for 64.233.167.99:5309 goes to 192.168.100.2 and anything from 72.52.249.60:80 destined for 64.233.167.99:5309 goes to 192.168.100.3 :)

Now back to your question: as Catch8072 said; "It might be easier to answer if you specified why you need to do this". - If you are living in an apartment with two people who want to change their "NAT Setting from Strict to Open" then you will need one more IP address from your ISP.

Let us know what you are trying to do!! :)

Thanks,
Floyd

EDIT!!

You typed your post before I could finish mine! :laugh:

There are a few ways you can skin a cat, have you called your ISP and just asked for another IP address?

-F

·
Registered
16 Posts
Comcast might tell you
"We'll need to run another line into your house" which means they'll try to charge you for setup and service.

Or just say "I pay for this internet, little brother, you can not use it", and then he'll have to get his own ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, I'll make him pay for it if there is a cost, but I'm trying to gather info.

I've read that you can get a new ip sometimes by changing one digit on your mac address. So say for now if he wanted to do this, could we try that method and if he gets banned from like a cs server, then we did that mac address thing again, would he be unbanned, or does it trace your ip? I'm going to get the second ip, but for the time being I want to be safe.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why dont you just set up a 300000volt electric switch that activates as soon as you or your brother uses a hack to play an online game. That way you will get what you deserve for CHEATING in a game. A lot of people wont play online games because of the RETARD HACKERS. I choose not to play CS because of the retard hackers in the game.

I understand that you obviously need a hack to play that game just to play on the same level as most of the others playing the game....but whats the point if everyone is cheating......NO SKILL...

If it really is only your brother using the hack then why aren't you doing something about making sure he doesnt hack rather than helping make it easier for him to hack.

Anyway I hope you post your IP address. I will be more than happy to pass it on to a game op.:4-thatsba:3-sick2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.