Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm about as green as it gets when it comes to computers, so talk down to me if you come up with anything.

On to the problem.

**Whenever I play a game, everything operates as it should or seems to, except for one glitch that makes most games completely unplayable... I cant actually tell you the problem so Ill just give examples. When I try to play system shock, I press the up arrow key to move forward (or any key to move in any direction), my character will keep moving forward after I let go of the keys and the computer stops accepting input. He will keep moving for a short distance until the computer is done processing at which time the input is freed - at least until I move again. It feels like the computer won't let me do things until its done thinking.

I feel in my gut like this is a graphics card thing.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Hi, welcome to TSF

Please post your system specs and graphics driver version.

Have you overclocked or made any changes in BIOS?

Are you using a standard keyboard or one that you can select profiles for different programs/games? Is it wireless?

Try lowering the 'repeat rate' setting in Control Panel > Keyboard.

A) change it to what
Change the screen resolution in the game's Display options to something lower or to your monitor's native resolution if it's LCD.

Press ctrl-alt-del to bring up the Task Manager, then click the Performance tab. Leave it open on the desktop, then play a game for a few minutes. When it starts to lag, alt-tab back to the desktop and post back with a screenshot of Task Manager so we can see your CPU and RAM readings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lowering keyboard repeat rate = stroke of genius

that almost completely fixed it by itself

RPGs are pretty playable now - i wont be picking up doom any time soon but i can certainly play tactics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.