Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I'm sure you can help me with this one. :rolleyes:
I want to set my two SATA hard drives to work as RAID Array.

I am almost sure that my hardware supports this feature but for this I need your help.

My Hardware:
I have an MSI Motherboard - KT6 Delta Series, model MS-6590.
It says in the manual Version 2.0 G52-M6590XD, maybe you need...

Hard drives :
1. Western Digital WD1600JS SATA II (Supports SATA I, of course) currently Master.
2. Maxtor 6Y080M0, 80 Gigs. SATA I. My older drive. Currently Slave.

In my current setup they work each one as a different drive in Windows.
Need to set them to RAID Array.

Have a clue how to do this? :cry:

Thanksss.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
What type of RAID did you want? Mirrored or Striped?
You are aware that you will loose the data you currently have on one or both of these drives when you create the array.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to transfer it all to the 160 Gigs driver, in the extra 80. cause the other one is 80 Gigs. Kinda put all the data in the "leftover" room or something like that. :rolleyes:
Can I keep some of the data?

I want to set a Striped Array.
How do I setup the Array? :4-dontkno

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
You should have a backup drive anyway, I recommend a USB connected drive. You will lose ALL the data on ALL the drives in the RAID when you build the array.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I backed up the data I need.

What do I do next?

btw, Will I get a significant improvement in speed when working with files?
I mean, will it be very noticible even when using the computer for casual tasks? -razz:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
First business. I usually don't recommend setting up a RAID 0 array on 2 different types of hard drives. It can be done but I would advise against it.

You may not see much improvement on a RAID 0 array. Maybe about 20MB/sec improvement. You may want to weigh the pros and cons before you make the decision. THERE IS NO REDUNDANCY IN A RAID 0 ARRAY. I cannot stress this enough. If you loose one drive you will loose all data on the array. There is no hope for recovery.

All the information you need to know on setting up the array is in this manual that you can download from the MSI website.
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manual/mnu/spt_mnu_detail.php?UID=359&kind=7

Make sure you enable the RAID controller in the BIOS.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I see about a 50% increase in speed with my RAID-0 array over the single SATA drive, this is on an ABIT IC7-G motherboard and the SIIG RAID controller. However, Joe makes an important point, either drive dies and you've lost everything! I have automated daily backups of all my data, weekly backups of my boot image, and mid-day backups of my current project. BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP... Did I say it enough? :grin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gee, I guess I really should reconsider this whole thing.
I just might buy another drive just for the whole backup thing - just to feel safe.

Thank you guys, you helped me a lot. :tongue:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.