Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having trouble with IE (have tried with Firefox and still get same problem). On certain pages, certain sections of those pages will not be displayed and will say "Page cannot be displayed." Also, on the bottom it says "Done but with errors"
Here is a list of some of the sites that do this and the sections so you may get a better idea of what I mean.

www.aol.com - the whole white sections under the aol search and to the left of the Already have high-speed?.....(this section does not say Page cannot be displayed, rather it just doesnt display at all.)

www.nba.com - under the list of games tonight and to the right of the advertisement for the NBA store that says Destination finals, gear up for the ride, shop now displayed in flash. The little box next to it.

www.espn.com - if you scroll all the way down, right under the poll and under the Today in the show listings says page cannot be displayed.]

Another thing i have noticed about this is that these websites have the privacy report icon in the bottom right of the window. However, I have opened that and clicked on always allow cookies and still have the problem. Any clue what may be happening here? I have been working with Hijackthis log help with some popup problems as well. Please get back to me as soon as you can. I appreciate all of the help. Thank you.

P.S. I have removed all spyware/adware removal programs. Have tried disabling my Windows firewall as well as lowering the security settings of IE.

·
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Te
14,513 Posts
Please download HijackThis - this program will help us determine if there are any spyware/malware on your computer. Create a folder at C:\HJT and move HijackThis.exe there. Double click on the program to run it.

1. If it gives you an intro screen, just choose 'Do a system scan and save a logfile'.
2. If you don't get the intro screen, just hit Scan and then click on Save log.
3. Get HijackThis Analyzer and save it to the same folder as the hijackthis.log file. Run HijackThis Analyzer and type in y if you agree. The result.txt file will open up in Notepad. Copy the whole result.txt log and post it in the HijackThis forum. We do not need the original hijackthis.log (unless we ask for it). Do not fix anything in HijackThis since they may be harmless.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The www.nba.com site does not display the privacy icon however. But when I open that up here are the "addresses" i get:

http://log.go.com/log?ft=j&srvc=sz&addata=(then a bunch of numbers) [www.espn.com]

http://ehg-dig.hitbox.com/HG?hc=we23&hb=(bunch of numbers and letters)
http://ehg-dig.hitbox.com/HGct?hc=we23&hb=(bunch of numbers and letters)
[both for www.aol.com]

They both are displayed as blocked even though when I click on Summary the option "Always allow this site to use cookies" is checked.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I already have a thread going in HJT forum for a popup problem which is currently being resolved. I was not sure if this was a spyware problem or not, that is why I posted here. I will post back if HJT doesn't come up with anything. Assuming this isn't a spyware problem, any clue what it might be?

Also, whenever I try to change the security settings for IE, when I restart IE it restarts the security settings.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
<<>>

Certain anti-spyware programs, such as SpySweeper and Spybot can block adservers by way of the HOSTS file. If only spots where ads were displayed before, and not parts of the actual website are being blocked, you are most likely in good condition. This may be what is happening. It is probably best actually that the ads do not display, as these can sometimes lead to harmful downloads. If, however, actual links or images from the sites, such as the NBA logo or whatever are being blocked, you may have trouble.

BMR777
www.rusnakweb.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.