Tech Support banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
How do I tell the difference?
It should have the same label on the back as the one you're replacing. If it's Ebay, ask the seller directly and keep a copy of the answer in case they pull a fast one. I've used "generic" KB's in the past if someone was too cheap to buy the original or it wasn't available, and some are just so bad...they feel cheap and nasty and require a heavy hit on each key to register. FYI

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you blown out the dust from it? It could just be a dust issue. If you have access to a compressor blow air into any vent hole but watch out the you don't over rev the fan. Also blow air around the keys. Can of air if no compressor.

Worst case buy a new one from ebay. Should be able to get a "new" one for $20. You should be able to find a youtube video to show u how to replace it. Also HP has service manuals that are very detailed in how to disassemble your laptop. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you blown out the dust from it? It could just be a dust issue. If you have access to a compressor blow air into any vent hole but watch out the you don't over rev the fan. Also blow air around the keys. Can of air if no compressor.

Worst case buy a new one from ebay. Should be able to get a "new" one for $20. You should be able to find a youtube video to show u how to replace it. Also HP has service manuals that are very detailed in how to disassemble your laptop. Very easy to do.
Using canned air can be deadly if the can is not kept 100% upright. Otherwise, it blows liquid into the laptop.

RE: fans. You cover all underside laptop vents with clear tape except one. You find a thin WOODEN toothpick, etc, to push into the system fan blades so they do not spin and get ruined.

Hope this helps. I do this day in and out, btw.

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,216 Posts
If you have access to a compressor blow air into any vent hole
No, no, no! A compressor tank gets a build up of condensation inside. The canned air does not.

Do you really want to be blowing moisture into electronic components?

·
12,216 Posts
Again, is there a way I can be certain the problem is with the physical keyboard and not the motherboard, or something else like that? I don't want to go to the effort of replacing the keyboard only to find out that wasn't even the issue.
This thread is getting very repetitive. Your issue was solved by post #4 by two of our most knowledgeable members. Stop looking for problems where there aren't any.

I wouldn't expect you to post any more questions unless you're having problems installing your new keyboard. If you do, the thread will be closed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This thread is getting very repetitive. Your issue was solved by post #4 by two of our most knowledgeable members. Stop looking for problems where there aren't any.

I wouldn't expect you to post any more questions unless you're having problems installing your new keyboard. If you do, the thread will be closed.
It seems it's up to you, Dave. As you personally wish.

·
12,216 Posts
It seems it's up to you, Dave. As you personally wish.
Nothing personal about it. I posted as a member of the site team and, in any case the comment was not directed at you, rather the OP. I personally think I'd be doing him a favour if I deleted all posts after #4. He's obviously a novice and so many people jumping in has only served to make the issue much more complicated than it actually is.

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,143 Posts
@Loading Your test has suggested that the Keyboard is the most likely cause for the issue, replacing it would be the first step. If you're not tech savy and if you feel comfortable using an External keyboard, I'd recommend you to use an External keyboard to avoid hassles or issues with replacing the Keyboard. If you want to replace them, watch the keyboard replacement videos multiple times, familiarize yourself with the steps and perform them only after your comfortable, else, contact a local tech who can help you with it.

Can the Motherboard also be cause for this issue ? Highly unlikely but possible, there is no definitive way to diagnose the Motherboard issue at this point without replacing the keyboard.

Please keep us posted on how things go and if you need help from us.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts