Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can read cd's perfectly fine, but when i try to burn a disk i immedialy get an error. I have tried Nero Burning ROM, Realplayer, and YASA. (if it has any significance at all last time i restarted my computer both of my disk drives were recognised as new hardware and my dvd drive is not recognized as a drive)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what if i dont know the brand... there is no brand marks on it... and the person who used to own it doesnt remember

·
Registered
1 Posts
cdrw problems

Thanks to all sumittals for cdrw problems, I had similar problems and found out through this forum I had a CS issue.

Thanks

Ully

·
Registered
30 Posts
To see your Drive's Brand or Mfr...

Hi Jake. My CD-RW drive is giving me headaches too, but at least I can be of some help by sharing the method for determining your drive's brand or manufacturer for firmware purposes. (I'm using Windows 98, but I'm sure the XP instructions are similar enough that you can figure out how to get to the screens I describe.)

(1) In System Properties, click the "Devices" tab. (I believe it's called "Hardware" in XP. System Properties are accessed by clicking on Start > Settings > Control Panel, then double clicking System.)

(2) Scroll down the devices/hardware list a bit until you see "CD-RW" or "CD-ROM." If there is a "+" sign to the left, click on it to expand the entry.

(3) Your internal CD-ROM will show the mfr's name. If there is another entry besides that one, then that will be the mfr of your CD-RW. Select the mfr's name, then click the "Properties" button.

(4) The Properties screen will show the brand, model and firmware version. For instance, my Lacie d2 CD-RW is shown as "Lite-On LTR-52327S, Firmware version QS09" (so I suppose the drive mechanism for my Lacie is made by Lite-On Technology).

(5) Go online to Google or a similar search site to look for your drive mfr's web site. Navigate to the site's Support or Downloads page to look for firmware updates for your particular drive model.

In my case, I looked up Lite-On's web site. The Support page of the site listed downloadable firmware updates by drive model number and current firmware number. It showed that the most recent firmware for Model 52327S was QS0E, so that is the file I downloaded and installed.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have a couple of questions, please check the following.

What error are you getting?

Is the Drive recognized in Bios?

What does windows show the drive as?

·
Registered
30 Posts
CD-RW Problem

Barry,

I know your questions are directed toward Jake, but I'd like to ask you this: How do I tell if my drive is recognized in BIOS? (Mine is an external CD-RW). If it is not recognized, do you know what that could mean (in terms of pinpointing the problem)?

And this is regarding Ully's post (but anyone can answer): What is a "CS issue"? (The answer is probably right in front of me in this forum, but for the life of me I just don't see it. Hope someone can enlighten me. :cool:)

·
Registered
906 Posts
glomedia said:
Barry,

I know your questions are directed toward Jake, but I'd like to ask you this: How do I tell if my drive is recognized in BIOS? (Mine is an external CD-RW). If it is not recognized, do you know what that could mean (in terms of pinpointing the problem)?
I assume the external drive is connected via USB cable. Your bios will not list it in the usual place for drives but it will show it somewhere in the USB configuration section if the drive is on when you boot the PC and go into Bios.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.