Firmware Version:5S5A
Buffer Size: 2048k
Driver Installed: Yes, v1.31
ASPI ver: 0.1
Adapter ID: TPPIOSTB
Auto Insert: Enabled

Burning Software:
Using Nero, Oaktech SimpliCD and CloneCD

Good evening all! (morning, afternoon, whatever)

My burner seems to hate reading (much like my child). When I put a ANY cd (cdr, cdrw, audio, software, etc) in the drive, nothing shows up when I click on the drive to view the contents of the disc. If the the cd is autorun, it will not. Audio cds are not detected throught the standard cdplayer, Windows Media Player7 or RealOne Player. However when I right click on the drive in question and choose properties the details tab (Oaktech) it will give me the details of that cd, such as audio or data. tracks and/or sessions, length, data mode, etc. So it seems it must be reading it.

It does, however still burn beautifully. I burned a data cd with SimpliCD and it was fine when read on my cdrom drive.
I copied several cds using both Nero and CloneCD. Nero cds are also fine. The one I copied with CloneCd freezes the computer. I haven't tested an audio burn yet. I can't pin down anything that might have caused this, as it was quite sudden. I hadn't just installed anything or made any changes to the system. The only thing I was doing was burning.

To the best of my knowledge everything is up to date. Any ideas?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
sounds like a filthy lens.

many would recommend a can of air, but i have heard that a blast of air like that will damaged the supsension of the laser lens.

what i do is far more extreme.

i open it, and swab its eye with a q-tip.

seems to have worked more times than not for me.

a disc with a cleaning brush on it has also been known to sometimes work, and borrowing on of those is usually the easiest thing to do.

~BoB~

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I haven't cleaned it yet so I figured that is a possiblilty. I can't find my cleaning cd anywhere. I do have a lense brush from my camera so as long as I am careful I can use that, I dont want to knock it out of whack. At least its external, easier to get to. And if the thing is just screwed, there's an internal on sale at Office Max for $30 after rebates. I'll go do that then. :winkgrin:

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
If you shop for a few weeks, you'll normally find CD-RW internal drives for around $10-15 after rebate, I have purchased a bunch of them recently. I have equipped all six machines here with them, and I have a couple of spares in the closet. :D

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
thats what im saying: you might as well clean it if youre going to throw it away anyhow.

and yeah, they are getting cheap these days.

~BoB~

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still cant find my cleaning cd...it's driving me nuts. I doubt I would throw it away since it burns fine. It's just annoying that I can't read with it since it is faster than the cdrom thats in my machine. I'm hesitant about opening the case to clean it manually because I don't want to screw it up. I take things apart all the time, but usually when they are wrecked anyways. Must go continue searching for that cleaning cd.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I finally found my cleaner only to realize (before I even tried it) that, duh, it isn't going to work because it needs to read the cd to clean the lens. I don't know if all lense cleaners work the same but this one has little "brushes" attached to the underside of the cd and I need to be able to advance to the next track for it work. Harumph. I guess I will have to take it apart.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I think I'd try it in another machine before disassembling it. Since it writes correctly, I suspect something besides the physical hardware...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking the same thing. I was starting to think that the problem was with the computer itself. I had noticed that autorun cds where not starting on my cd-rom drive either and that the icon for my writer was no longer a cd with a pencil. Also when I take a cd out of my rom it will still show the name of that cd even if I put another in.

I reinstalled Windows and now my cds are being detected and the autorun worked on the writer when I tested it with the Windows cd. However it still seems like it is not reading the cds properly. For instance I currently have an audio cd in. When I put it in, Windows Media Player opens up but nothing happens, and if I click play it tells me it can't play that format(cda). The standard cdplayer program still tells me I need to insert an audio disc.

I just tried the audio cd on my regular rom drive and it isn't playing it either. I can read data cds with the burner now. Audio is still giving me difficulties. I'll need to try another burn. I tried to burn an audio cd last night and it didn't work.

Well it looks like more searching around the net for answers, unless someone knows this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't. At least with the cleaner I have. Neither cd drive will read audio cds. I'm not having much luck finding the cause of this either. Everything I have found hasn't worked:mad:

I also can't figure out how to get the case open on the burner to clean it that way. I don't want to try to force it.

It appears that dirt isnt the problem anyway. I can read and write data cds but not audio.

I'll probably be lurking here while I surf around looking for solutions, that way I can check back often.

I do appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thanks!

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Now you have two drives with the same behavior, this doesn't seem to be a CD drive failure to me.

Did you remove one of the two drives and run the remaining one as the master on that IDE channel? Try it with both drives. You may have some sort of conflict. I'd also consider a new cable, trying the drive on the other IDE channel with the hard disk, etc.

You need to narrow down the problem to hardware or software.

Of course, as I mentioned earlier, testing it on another machine would be the best test, it would eliminate the drive as an issue on the spot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input. I'll try what you've suggested and if I can get it to another machine, I'll try that.

The burner stopped recognizing and reading disc again. I hadn't done anything other than listen to some mp3s.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, I really don't know how to change IDE settings, so if anyone knows a link to some tutorial that would be great. I've been searching the net and not finding this info. Although I am not sure if that would do any good as my burner is hooked up to a USB2 port that came with it. Am I wrong in thinking that? I've been trying to contact tech support for this burner but they haven't been available all week of course.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
For USB2 devices, I just plug them in and they work. I have a bunch of USB 2.0 cases and I have some disks and a CD-RW drive in one. They've all just worked when plugged into a USB 2.0 port with no settings tinkering necessary.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, I've been searching around and I am starting to stumble upon people with similiar difficulties, unfortunately they don't seem to be having any better luck finding a solution. I saw you somewhere else,johnwill , can't remember which forum. I suppose you check out more than just two though.

Anyway, I am starting to believe that it was either Nero or CloneCD that caused this problem. I am leaning towards CloneCD since I have been using Nero for over a year now with no problem.

Quick question, though. How can I delete wnaspi32.dll ver 4.71 and replace with ver4.60. Specified file is being used by windows, I cannot overwrite delete or rename. I find this slightly humorous since Windows didn't seem to need it before i put it there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.