Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a cdrom install since day one. For some reason my D: drive cdrom is missing. When I click on my computer its not listed. It doesn't recognise when a cd is in the driver. What is causing this and how do I get it back? This happened to me before but my friend got it back for me, I just forget how. I tried running Wins98 startup disk and I have an error in that too saying "the windows startup disk could not create a temporary drive for the diagnostic tools. This may be because this computer has less than the minimum required extended memory. " I have plenty of memory 256 to be exact. If you want to email me its [email protected]

Thanks,
Linda

·
hey
10,189 Posts
The first thing I would do is scan the computer for a virus, a free online one can be found at houscall.antivirus.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to that site and ran a virus check. I have no viruses. My cdrom is a plextor 12/10/32A I went to the plextor site and d/l'd the update and still nothing. I also noticed I have a yellow ? mark beside PCI card - Primary Ultra ATA controller and Secondary Ultra ATA controller. I'm not sure what these are. My video card is Hercules and my audio is creative labs. What cd's do I need to reinstall those drivers?

Thanks,
Linda

·
hey
10,189 Posts
That could be what is controlling your cd-rom. If you go to the properties under that what does it say? You may have to load reload drivers for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
says the drivers for this device are not install. So i tried to reinstall but it was unable to locate a driver for this device. It searching in my d:\wins98 also windows\drivers\TPP I don't know where to look for this.
In the primary & secondary ultra ATA says this device is either not present , not working properly or does not have all the drivers installed. So I tried to install them and it says, the best driver windows found is already installed for this device. That driver location is C:\windows\inf\other\inteli~1.inf

Linda

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Do you know what kind of card it is? If you can give us a model, we should be able to find drivers for you.

S

·
0 Posts
Lindalee

Is this a home built machine or a brand name like Compaq?

Do you know what kind of motherboard you have in that box?

And do you have a promise raid card in there?

The more info you can give us the better!

Hey I'm from Taxachussetts to..:D :cool: ;)

SPEEDO

·
Registered
45 Posts
Use a Win98 startup disk and click load with cdrom drivers, win95 and win98 will recognize this generic cdrom device driver. Insert floppy disk and turn off power button turn back on!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's back

Thanks for the advice. I ended up reinstalling windows and that did the trick. Now lets see how long it stays around this time :)

Thanks again,
Linda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.