Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need some big help. I think I know what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it. I'll start from the beginning.

I bought my computer from an independent dealer that sold me my computer with a partitioned harddrive. Both harddrives were 5 gigs each. One was the C drive and the other was the D drive. It also came with a Creative cd-rom drive (drive E) and a HP CD Writer drive (drive F).

After a couple of years, I found the 2 partitioned drives annoying because they were so small. I wanted to combine them into one 10 gig drive. I didn't know much about it, but I used Partition Magic 7.0 and merged the 2 drives. It worked for me. However, when I was in Windows ME, the C drive was my 10 gig drive, the D drive was the Creative drive and the E drive was the HP drive. When I loaded the computer and went through DOS, DOS read my C drive as the 10 gig drive, D was labelled MS-RAMDRIVE where files such as my Attrib.exe, MSCDEX.exe, Command.com, etc files were. Drive E was still my Creative drive and drive F was my HP drive. So there was a discreptency between DOS and Windows in recognizing the drives.

I think it was around that time when my Creative drive stopped working. Discs would not read in the drive, but the same discs would read in the HP drive. When I went through DOS and tried to read the drive, I got the CDR101 message. I contacted Creative and they said I needed a new drive. So I just didn't use the drive anymore.

Yesterday I decided to reformat my whole computer. Before I did, I said, what the hell, I'll check the Creative drive. I put the Winows ME disc in, and to my surprise it read the disc and auto-loaded. I rebooted the computer, and once again the Creative drive was not working. I thought I would just load the computer with my HP drive.

I deleted the drive, loaded Windows ME through the HP drive and everything was okay. I loaded the driver for my graphics card through the HP drive and that was ok, but then I wanted to install Microsoft office and the HP drive didn't read it. The disc does load on my laptop, so it is not the disc. I went through DOS and tried to read from the drive and again I got the CDR101 message. I decided if I reformatted again, I could start from the beginning, but both drives are not recognized so I cannot load any discs.

When I loaded Windows ME, before I experienced the problems with the HP Drive, in Windows, the C drive was the 10 gig drive, D was the Creative drive and E was the HP drive. In DOS, C was the 10 gig drive, D was the MS-RAMDRIVE which contained the MSCDEX.exe file, E was the Creative drive and F was the HP Drive.

I think that both drives are actually okay, but I think I screwed up the configuration when I merged the two 5 gig drives, hence the difference between DOS an Windows in recognizing the drives. I hoping someone can help me so that the computer will recognize the drives again so I can load Windows ME.

I am not too good with fooling around with the system configuration, so I would need a very basic explanation. It would be much appreciated if someone could help me.

Thanks,
Oreo

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.