Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer just shut off last night....maybe a power surge, but the lights didn't flicker & I use a surge protector power bar.

Anyways, the next day I realized my CD/RW wasn't recognized by the system. Upon scanning for updated drivers....XP says the CD driver is corrupt or missing.

I returned the CDRW for a new one.....connected it as a master & slave, tried updating plug and play hardware....no luck.

It is an LG-GCE-8520b.

The old burner was from the same manuf. so there shouldn't be any conflicts....just no recognition now for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Is the drive getting power?

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to Tech Suppoert Forums jao.............:D

Does the bios recognize that the drive is installed?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have never had to install a driver for a CDrom or CDRW drive before...............never heard of any of them requiring drivers to work before.

Good luck,

Laffctx

S

·
0 Posts
Well if the bios sees it then that's all he should have to do is boot into safe mode and remove any CD-Roms that are in the device manager and reboot............IMHO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More information

Hi. Thanks for becoming interested.

There is power to the drive....ejects fine.

No, the bios doesn't recognize it....during boot up....only 1 hard drive shows up on the main buses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FOUND the FIX

Message from user @ SiliconGuide.com:

I had similar problem on Win2000: after install NERO 5.5 Packet Writer (Samsung-only edition) my CD-R/W device went to code-31 (Windows has disabled). I searched the web & found out from http://www.hauppauge.com/html/pvrfaq.htm that there are 2 reg keys that screw the device, I removed them both and re-scaned for PnP (or rebooted) after removing the device & all was well. The keys are: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} - "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters".

For Newbies:

1. Click on START button, the click on RUN
2. Enter REGEDIT and press enter
3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
"Upperfilters"
"Lowerfilters"
Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Then close REGEDIT, shutdown & restart your PC

S

·
0 Posts
Try another IDE cable and make sure that it's hooked up to pin one properly on the motherboard and on the drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.