Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ever since i changed my back up ( d: ) drive to one with more space my cd rom hasn't been working. i secured the plugs for the cd rom so that isnt the problem. it opens and closes fine the light works when i put a cd in but it doesnt read the cd, show up in the device manager or in "My Computer". i tired unplugging it and plugging it back in, still nothing...im getting annoyed. if anyone could help me out with this problem ill greatly appriciate it :D.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
check the new drive, and the cd rom to see if they are on the same cable.

if they are, then check to see if they are both set to master.

if they are, set one to master, and one to slave.
or, set them both to cable select, if that is the type of system you have.

easiest way is to look at the back of the old drive that you took out, and set the jumper on the new drive to match that.

sounds like a jumper conflict to me.

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Remove the backup drive and see if it changes. Since you were tinkering with cables and drive configurations when the problem occured, that's most likely where the problem lies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks for the help i fixed it :D. the problem was that the secondary cable wasnt plugged into the motherboard properly...i musta unplugged it when i was taking the old drive out, everythings fine now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok NOW everything is fine...jeez things get unplugged so easy in there next time ill be more careful

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If the connector comes off that easily, you probably need a new cable. The connectors get loose after enough handling, the result is they come loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.