Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my system all hooked up with the new cable modem, and I'm trying to get the win98se computer hooked up as well. I noticed the win98se doesn't have the CD-rom or the HP cd writer on the My Computer menu! This is really odd, as I've not changed anything around or moved any of those devices, though sometimes I notice the devices DO show. They HAVE worked, the only thing thats really been changed on that computer, is it's been through a format due hdd failure in the past. (and I used the CD :p)

Sometimes the bios detects them, sometimes it doesn't. I'm just wondering if it's some registry or a driver, or something fixable that can be done. From there, I can figure out how to network them. :p

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have checked cables, everythings set to auto detect... I've unplugged the second CD-rom, and the bios detected the hp cd writer, but when it comes time to sticking a CD inside it, it lags my computer totally, until i open the writer door, then all is back to normal. >_<

Also, in the bios it says:

detecting hdd secondary master... hp cd writer

That's not sposed to be like that is it? :S

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upate:

(just trying to let you guys know more specifics, hopefully it helps you out :))

I unhooked the cd-rom, and it detects the writer as the hdd secondary master. When I try and read a disc off it, it lags the computer horribly.

I did the same process to the cd writer and used the cd-rom, but this totally wouldn't read at all, so I assumed maybe the cd-rom was broken.

Re-hooked both the writer and the cd-rom, and I set the bios detection to
"normal", and the computer now detects them both as CD-roms, though I still have the same lag problem when trying to read a disc. (have tried different discs)

Now I'm stumped o_O

·
1,438 Posts
Try this , with both drives connected to the correct location on the IDE cable (master to end, slave to middle) and power; boot to BIOS (Setup ; it should say something like press F2 or press DEL to enter setup momentarily when you first power on before windows . Make sure that they are both set to cdrom and detected (not set to none). I do not think this is your problem, but we want to do things in order. Save settings and exit and boot to windows.
Go to device manager (right click my computer/ properties) and see if they are listed. IF they are, check properties to see if any problem exists. You may also want to try selecting them (slave first then master) and click remove .Do the same with secondary IDE controller. Reboot and they will be redetected and reloaded.
If they do not show up, click on the refresh button and wait. Often if this makes them reappear (as well as the drives working when only one is connected to the power cord or drives showing sometimes and not others) it is caused by a weak power supply. There is not enough voltage and power on the particular leg to properly power them up before the motherboard tests them and windows starts to load and they are not loaded . If you have added any hardware this is the probable cause, that you do not have enough power for all your drives. You need a new more powerful power supply or you need to remove one of the drives. A failing power supply can also produce this symptom.

If you have installed two burner software suites , or have uninstalled Roxio Easy CD creator sometimes it also produces these symptoms.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.