Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I get my cd-rom working. The computer says it can't be found. Tried blowing ouut dust.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
More Info.

Welcome to the board.

1) Has the Cdrom ever worked?
2) Can it be found by your bios at startup?
3) Does it spin down a cd when its insterted

Any more info you have on this problem would also be helpful in a diagnosis(?) well again no spell checker in so Im just winging it.. spelling and spanish are my worst subjects. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there....
Thank you for your prompt reply.

1) The CDrom was working perfectly.

2) I don't know what bios is - but I do see something about
CD-ROM while booting the system.

3) When I insert a CD and close the door a green lite go on
briefly but the red lite does't come on anymore.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
First off the BIOS is just a piece of hardware on your motherboard(very important piece of hardware), but anyway what we are looking for here is that when the black screen come up that tells you what's in your computer, that the CD drive still shows up. I am guessing by the fact the "little green light" as you put it still shows up that the computer still knows the cd exists...
This is generally a good thing, it could simply mean a loose connection.. if you added anything to the computer it would be helpful to know, as a matter of fact if you opened the case at all that would be useful.
You also might try getting a cd rom cleaner... not a cd cleaner, but a cd looking like object that has fuzzy things on the "shiny" side that cleans the lens.
Then there is the possibility that the lens stopped seeking... the motor wore out, a connection got fried, whatever...this is the worst possibly senario, the only thing I can say that would be of any consolation, is that IF you do have to replace it, you can probably get something much better for cheaper than what you paid for yours.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence if this sounds like baby talk, but its better safe that sorry.

Someone will most likely elaborate on what I have mentioned before I get to post again, but I hope this helps :)

S

·
0 Posts
Hello nomle and Welcome to Tech Support Forums...:D

Go to Start

Settings

Control Panel

System

Device Manager

Is CD-Rom on the list?

If so click on the plus sign and see what it lists....;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.