Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whenever i place any type of cd in my drive my computer does not recognize there being a disk there. It worked for about a year and a half, but after that it started failing sporadically and now it wont work at all. I checked the connections and tightened them, but to no avail. The light comes on in the front whenever i place a disk in. please help. (im not too computer savvy)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input, but I have one more question. How can I tell if a new drive I buy will work with my system, and how do I install it?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Most mainstream....quality...drives( Tech,TDK plextor-burner -older burners dont like XP but the new ones on the market are ok-, Yamaha, Creative Labs) work in MOST systems.....if you system is five years old chances are the CD roms out there today will fit....if you system is over 5 years old....thats like 500 years in computer life.... it might be worth upgrading for more benifits then a CD rom:winkgrin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok one more question..and thanks for the help...I have a 2 year old system so no problem with that and the drive im looking to buy is compatible with winME. Im not sure how exact the physical dimensions have to eb though...my old drive is a sc-148 from samsung and the new one is a CD566D from cyberdrive. the dimensions of the new one are about 2 mm different from the old. Also, I can use the old cables correct? thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You'll be fine... the difference in dimensions is most likely a difference in motors and servos that control the spinning and the laser. As long as it says it is a 5.25" drive you'll be fine! 5.25 and 3.5 are the industry standards, your going to have to look pretty hard to find an internal drive that isn't one of those. So just pick a name you trust, and a price that's in your budget. Happy shopping.

BTW Welcome to the Tech Support Forums(TSF)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.