Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced HDD with WD800JB (EIDE) Had to Flash BIOS to Recognize new drive.
MoBo Gigabyte GA-5SMM
BIOS 2A5IMG09
CD-ROM drive is a LG model CED8042B - 24xMax reading 4xMax

CD-ROM attached via 40pin ribbon cable on Secondary IDE2 Socket(end connecter). HDD is seperate on IDE1. Have set jumpers on CD-ROM as Master,Cable Select,and none. No Joy on any setting. Have swapped IDE1 and IDE2 cables both work on HDD. Will replace with 80pins first chance.

Have run diagnostics on HDD and it is Partitioned/Formatted and tests with no errors. Now need to Install WindowsXP Home ED. but it is on CD.

Secondary Master is set to Auto but shows all 0's
When I bootup it shows CD-ROM as Secondary Master Mode 4 on Bank1 DRAM Type. Bootup halts with the message 'NTLDR is missing" I thought the drivers were to be loaded on Windows installation.
Where did the 'NT' come from. I used Win98se to boot computer then loaded biosflash files to a blank win98se formatted diskette.
I've read through all 4 pages of this thread to try to get some insite to my problem. Have gone to gigabyte,Compaq,WD, and HP. Only troubleshooting advice I can find relates to procedures after Windows is running. ie Device Mgr etc. Read all I could find on DMA to try to gleam some insight. Something about old dog and new tricks seems appropriate about now.
I do know my MoBo has 2x Ultra DMA33/66 Bus Master IDE ports
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

P

·
0 Posts
What happens when you try to boot from the cd ? So you have an installation problem and you are suspecting the cd rom ? Sorry, I couldnt quite get the problem. A little more detail about what happens please.

Regards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had to change my HDD because old one crashed. Due to older BIOS I was required to Flash BIOS before the Computer would recognize the new HDD. Did that and HDD is Partitioned and formatted. Now I am trying to load Windows XP Home Edition from a CD. When I insert the CD into the CD-ROM it spins but does't read. When I try to reboot the computer with no diskettes or CD it shows the HDD and CD-ROM, enables S.M.A.R.T. on Master HDD, Lists PCI devices. Then it reads "Verifying DMI Pool Data ........
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
what did you format and partition with the windows xp disk loads the cd driver and formats and set the inicial partition for you
try cleaning the cd
get someone to pop the cd in their comp to check there is no problem with it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I partitioned and formatted a new Single Hard Drive with Data Lifeguard ver 11. Now I need to use my WindowXP install CD to install the operating system but the CD-ROM drive will not read any CD. I've tried several different CDs. I also ran the WinXP intall CD in my DEll and the CD reads fine.

Is it possible that since the files are being loaded to RAM that it is over flowing since I have run Data Life Diagnostics and Data Life 11 several times.

Since there is no data on the HDD would it be smart to run FDISK from MD-DOS and then format with WindowXP?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whosdat,
I'm still reading. Considering the work around. Went to link you gave me and searched on Bcupdate2 and it took me back to the firsrt reading material you suggested. I will keep digging through it. Thanks for the good luck I feel I'm going to need it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Purple Sky,
Let me be sure of your meaning. Physically move the CD-ROM from the Dell to the Compaq. Then try the WinXP install CD. If that is a yes I will have to defer that until in the A.M.. I found my propensity to screw up goes up exponentially after 23:00 hrs.

P

·
0 Posts
Yes please. From dell to your compaq.

Computers are sopposed to be based on logic 0's and 1's but sometimes i feel like they have feelings :) They are never broken but patients sometimes :) ( j/k )

Regards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.