Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been having a really hard time with my cd rom drives as of late. ok, here is the low down. when the computer POSTs, it sees the drives, through the BIOS, i see the drives, i can boot a from a cd (windows or linux, w/e), but once windows is up and running, i have no access to my cd drives from the explorer. so i go into my device manager and it shows both drives with the little yellow question marks on them, i have tried updating drivers, re-installing SP2, and im at the end of my rope. i dont know what else to do. i have be using my other computer and Alcohol to make images and use Alcohols virtual cd drives and its a pain in the ***. a resolution or advice would be great. i really dont want to reinstall windows. i have so much stuff that would have to be redone. so thanx in advance for any knowledge shared
-Kevin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup

yes, both drives work fine, i tested them in my other computer, used one to install a game on my computer because it is a faster drive than mine, so, yeah, i know they both work.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hmm ok...are you able to use the interface cable from the other pc to connect them to your board in the PC which is havng problems?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, i tried switching the ribbon cables as well, but still nothing.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Also, in your Device Management console...when you tried to update the drivers did you choose the automatic or manual option?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there are about 8 or 9 errors with the PlugAndPlay Manager saying that both of the drives "dissapeared from the system without being stopped before being removed"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i used automatic, and when that didnt work, i got the drivers from the website and did it manually, and the computer accepted the drivers, but they are still "yellow ?" in the device manager.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
I'm thinking it is perhaps a mobo issue as both devices work elsewhere and you have tried swapping the cables....have you tried an optical device from your other PC in this one?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am pretty sure it is not the MOBO, because i can boot from a cd before the OS loads, and i can see both drives attached in the BIOS. i am sure it is a problem with Windows itself, i would like to know if i can fix the problem without reinstalling the OS (cause that is a pain in the a**)

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
You're probably right if the devices are bootable and ok in BIOS. TBH, i'm not really sure of a fix bar a repair installation or even format and reinstall....in your Device Manager, what is the mssage that shows when you double click on the yellow alerts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i hate windows

i have attached a screenshot of what i get when i double click on the drive in the device manager

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.