Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sony vaio pcv-rx280ds that is just of a year old or so. The top drive which is for dvd's no longer reads cds. It wont read data,audio, or anything. It has always worked fine, but just recently stopped working. If you have any suggestions on what the problem could be, i would appreciate it.
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Ken85, welcome to the forums !!!
do you get any error messages ? Do the lights on the drive work at all ? do you hear any noises coming from the drive ? Have you noticed anything unusal before it stopped working ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I did not receive any type of error message, the lights come on like normal but it says there is no disk in the drive. There are no unusal noises and i just oneday noticed that is would not read any cds whatsoever.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
It may have just bit the dust. I'd try unplugging the cables, booting up, shutting down, and reattaching the cables. This may shock it into functioning. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never taking the computer apart before. Does the drive just unplug? I wont have to reinstall it or anything after i plug it back in willl i?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
btw, you didnt drop any foreign objects in by mistake ? LOL j/k :tongue2:

this gives you an opportunity to see what the guts of your machine look like...maybe remove some of the dust from other components as well. You can use compressed air or if your wife/gf. lets you use their hairdryer, you can use it to blow the dust out. Just remember to use cold air :D ...and for the drive, cables pretty much just unplug and not that difficult to put back because most of the newer systems are "notched"..they can only go in one way....if all else fails, look for a marking on the back of the drive that looks like 1...that means pin one and thats the side where the red line on the IDE cable should go....power plugs go in only one way and it really really hard to reverse it...anyways, G/L :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.