1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently built a new computer:

MOBO- ASUS P5ld2
CD-Rom - uknown and old lo

There are many ide plugs on my motherboard. I plugged my CD-ROM drive into the red one on the left. I went into the bios and changed the boot sequence to CD-ROM first and HDD second. for some reason it doesnt boot from the CD. Did i plug it into the wrong ide plug? I need it to reformat = P

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

If the CDRom is alone on the ribbon cable, the jumpers (as Keymaker talked about setting jumpers) must be set to Master and the drive on the very end of the ribbon cable. If you have both your hard drive and the CDRom on the same ribbon cable, set the jumpers to Master for your hard drive and put it on the end of the ribbon cable, then set the CDRom jumpers to slave and put it in the middle of the ribbon cable.

If you need further help, then post back.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The red connectors do not support ATAPI devices. Your CD-Rom is such a device. Page 2-24 of your manual. :sayno:

The CD-Rom needs to be plugged into the PRI_IDE channel. Page 2-25 of the manual :sayyes:

Connect your hard disk to the PRI_EIDE channel if it is a IDE drive.
Note the installation of the ITE 8211 IDE drivers once windows is installed. Page 2-24.

The Manual :grin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is really strange:

I have the same MoBo, Asus P5LD2.

When I connect my CD-ROM drives to the blue PRI_IDE controller, the CD-ROM's work, however XP only allows them to run in PIO mode. BIOS indicates that they can also run in DMA mode.

When I connect them to the red PRI_EIDE controller, they work in DMA mode, but I am not able to see them connected in the device manager.

Does anybody know what's going on here ???

Thanks...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.