Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CD-ROM drive not detected in windows 2000 pro

I bought a used dell gx240 sff p4 1.8ghz 756mb (currently running win2000 pro) to run and explore Ububtu on. This pc shipped with no cd-rom drive, added a slim TEAC CD-244E -B66. This cd-rom drive fits like a glove but is not detected on this system (checked in "my computer" and F12 setup), although the drive does power up on system boot and will spin when inserting a cd-rom, nothing plays.

Searched all day saturday for drivers or firmware compatible with win2000 ...to no avail.

Called TEAC for drivers or firmware, they say there are no drivers or firmware needed for this drive.

This is a slim drive, so no manual jumper settings available.

Tried "add/remove hardware"... to no avail. The system doesn't see the drive or detect the new hardware.

Sure wish I could get this toy up and running!
HELP! PLEASE!!

Namaste'
TechieMom

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Hi TechieMom, welcome to TSF

Is the new CD-ROM drive on its own IDE cable or sharing with a hard drive? As there are no jumpers for master/slave, it's possible that it needs to be on its own channel, I'm not sure though, I've never used one without jumpers.

Are you using a 40 or 80 wire data cable? Are the cable connectors firmly attached to the drive and motherboard?

Can you see the drive listed in BIOS? If you change the boot order to 'CD first' with a bootable CD inserted, does it boot to the CD or to Windows?

If it's listed in BIOS but can't be seen in Windows Explorer, go to Start > Run > regedit. Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values from this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Class \ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Then reboot.

Important: Make a backup (export) before making any changes to the registry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Koala, thank you so much for taking the time to reply :)

To answer your questions;

CD-ROM drive is on its own IDE cable, It plugs directly into the motherboard.

Cable connectors are firmly attached to the drive and motherboard - I checked them 3x!

"Are you using a 40 or 80 wire data cable?" I'm not sure, there were two options available, I chose the thinner cable similiar to the one attached to the floppy drive.

This drive is not listed in BIOS. So I can't manipulate it via boot order.

Any other thoughts??

Namaste'
TechieMom

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
If it's getting power from the PSU but can't be seen in BIOS or Windows, try replacing the IDE data cable with an 80-wire one (link).

If your hard drive is on IDE channel 0 and set to 'cable select', change it to master.

Can you test the drive in another computer?

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
That looks like a converter or adapter cable for using laptop drives in a desktop computer. I would try replacing it.

Unfortunately I don't work with laptops, but if you hang on for some more replies from our laptop users we'll get it working :smile: You can get an immediate email notification whenever a reply is posted by going into User CP (top left of this page) > Edit Options and changing the Default Thread Subscription Mode to Instant Email Notification, then click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have a Small Form Factor dell gx240 desktop pc. The cd-rom drive requirement is "Slim". I understand this drive is also considered compatible with certain dell laptops. After much research, the cable I purchased was indicated as the correct one, and it does fit the MB and the drive like a glove... but maybe it is defective. However, I question if the drive light would come on at all if the ide cable was defective..? The power line connects to the top of the ide cable, then the ide cable to the drive, meaning that the power must first run thru the ide cable to get to the drive.

I wish I knew more, but i suppose at the end of the hunt for this needle in the haystack I will!!

I appreciate all your help koala!!

Namaste'
Sundee

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Hi Sundee, I asked in the staff room and they found this adapter which is recommended by Dell for use with your CD drive, but it's not a cable so I'm not sure if it would fit in your case.

http://www.ameri-rack.com/APA-CD1-JP.htm

It has a jumper built into the adapter for jumperless drives, so you can use this to set the master, slave or cable-select settings. Looking at the picture of your cable, it has the same jumper (circled in pics above), so you just need to put the small plastic jumper in the right position on the cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow Lady! you really did your homework here!

I sent the cable back and requested one of the other type yesterday.
However, I suspect that the jumper settings will be similiarly located on the new forthcoming cable. Here is a pic of it >> http://www.coatedsteel.com/images/cables/5n051.jpg

I also made contact with a knowledgeable person on the Dell support forum. He also said my problem was most likely the cable...
but he didn't mention the jumper settings!

Well, I'll just have to wait to see if this new cable works :pray: it is VERY helpful to now know about the jumper location!!

For the benefit of anyone who might read these posts.. I will keep you posted here on the outcome.

Thank you Thank you Thank you! for all your effort!

Namaste'
TechieMom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Humph! the new cable seems not to be the answer to my problem. I see no jumpers on this cable either, nor on the cd-rom drive.

I'm really stumped.

HELP!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.