Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using win 98SE. I cannot get my Mitsumi DVD/CD-ROM to recognize a CD unless I restart the computer with the Disc in the drive. When I open the device manager the CD-ROM Controller has a yellow circle with an exclamation point showing. When I hit the general tab it says "This device is either not present,not working properly or does not have all the drivers installed Code 10" Try upgrading the drivers for this device. When I try and upgrade the driver it says " The best driver windows found for this device is already installed". If I hit the resources tab it says" Input/Output range 0100-0103" Below that it says "No Conflicts". I am at a loss as to what to try next, other than replace the drive. All help appreciated.:confused:
Thanks
Taxiguy51

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Did you try removing the CD drive from Device Manager and rebooting and letting it be discovered again?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have removed it from the device manager and let the plug & play (pray) try to find it. All that happens is that it is no longer listed in the device manager and works exactly as I previously described. Once removed, it stays removed and still functions if I load a disc and then do a restart?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I'd be tempted to nike it's description from the registry, but I hesitate to give those instructions, a slip here and you'll be doing a new install! :D

S

·
0 Posts
How about running System File Checker, Hell at this stage it's worth a try.......:D

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Do you have dos cdrom drivers loading in the config.sys and the autoexec.bat? (ie device=c:\oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001) and in the autoexec.bat (mscdex /d:mscd001)

If you do rem them out.

After you remove them, look in the windows system properties to see if you are running in protected mode. (Should be the last tab)

Then run regedit and goto the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\VXD\IOS

if the right hand pane shows NOIDE value. Delete just that value and reboot.

One other thing that can cause this is a boot sector virus. Stealth_c is notorious for doing this.

You can go to www.f-secure.com to the downloads section, download the free dos tools and it can safely remove almost any boot sector virus without damaging the data on the hard drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help, unfortuneatly it didn't cure the problem. I have come to the point where I will replace the drive. Should I find another fix, I will post it for future reference.

Taxiguy 51

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.