Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Patriot
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at solutions to buffing out a scratch on a Wii console game, to be exact it was LOZ Twlight Princess, and the game prior to me trying this method would work up till near the end of the game then it would come back as disc cannot be read (LOZTP games always has this problem, last one I had did this to the point I replaced it to) Well scratches would never get buffed out even with Disc scratch remover, toothpaste, I tried everything, I had belief it was one small scratch causing it.

So upon looking at methods to resurface, I ran across people using 1500 grit and higher sand paper, I thought this seemed like a bad idea, and it was, upon buffing the scratches out including the deeps ones which did get buffed out, the game is like a cloudy worn down mess with what seems like millions of fine scratches now. The surface aint shiny and feels flat.

any recommendations or just throw it out the window?

the sandpaper was that fine square type that came out of Turtlewax call scratch repair kit. They were numbered #1 through #3 I think.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does your disc scratch remover come with a solevent or spray? Try coating the surface of your disk with that and trying to buff it with a clean smooth cloth, like a bread cloth or something.

If not, hell, try buffing it up with some turtle wax or something, some kind of polish. The goal is to smooth over all those smooth microscopic scratches made by the sand paper using a solvent or wax or polish that will either smooth them over or fill them in. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
if you don't know how cds work this might be interesting to you: HowStuffWorks "How CDs Work"

anyway, the data itself of the cd/dvd is not actually damaged. the scratch just makes it hard for the laser to access it if that makes sense.

if you can smooth out the plastic the laser can once again read the information and the game will work.

·
The Patriot
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The data is actually just underneath the top label of the disc, I knew this much hence why you can resurface, but my resurfacing methods has been quite terrible. I tried toothpaste and let it set and it got smooth but had alot of micro scratches, ran it under water and it got flat again. Its a cloudy mess as if the scratches is smear marks.

do I buff hard when I buff? what is a bread cloth?

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
deeper scratch = buff harder just don't break your disk :).....

I believe "bread cloth" just refers to a soft fabric. I always use the cloth the comes with glasses.

Hopefully this gives you some inspiration:

YouTube - Repair CDs with a Microwave!

^^ PLEASE DONT DO THAT.

If you still cant get it to work. look in the phone book for a place that can resurface it for you.

I have an old CD store about 4 miles away from my household that resurfaces for $4.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
you polish the surface with either compound

when i was baking you would see someone sneaking out packets of flour when they were painting a car to use for rubbing it back

both are a light abrasive

·
Registered
137 Posts
^^^ Clever idea, will have to try it someday.

I recently got my taxes back and thought i'd treat myself to a new TV and xbox. Well I got the new model of xbox and it has that touch sensitive power button. Well I was moving it around with my game in it when it was off, and then my hand brushed the button and it turned on and it just CHEWED a ring into my Halo Reach disc. 60 bucks I had paid for it and now it was ******.

I brought it to the local game shop and they buffed it and cleaned it for 3 dollars. The scratch was pretty ugly and it looked just as good as new. There was just the FAINTEST little line one one part but it was nothing major. Saved me 57 dollars!

Sometimes it's just easier to use a service that someone provides then to bang your head against research and whatnot. Time is money my friend :) If your a true DIY'er though and do find a good way to take care of it let us know for sure :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.