Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've been having problems with my CD-R lately. Its a Plextor 'Plexwriter 12/10/32A'. Whenever I have a blank CD-R in it, my computer reboots. I've never had this problem before until I let my friend use my computer while I wasn't in the room, he claims he did nothing to the computer, but obviously he did. I've tried getting the latest drivers, reading up on it on the internet, I've even gone so far as to format, but the darn thing keeps giving me problems. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
listen

please dont let people you cant trust use your machine. but as far as it goes, i would reinstall. unless you can somehow figure out what he did to it. but he prolly doesnt know either.

~BoB~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is, I have formatted and reinstalled windows, but it continues to reboot. I guess I'll try formatting my entire drive instead of just the windows 2000 partition.

Thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I really doubt reformatting data partitions are going to have any bearing on this problem. If you have truly done a clean install of the O/S and the problem remains, it's pretty clear that it's a hardware failure or configuration issue, not the O/S.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Are you only trying to use one blank CD-R?

I have had my computer freeze on me when a bad CD-R was put into it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reformatted again, and I realized its not only my CD-R but my CD-ROM too. I tried putting in a different CD-ROM, but that does the same, I tried switching the cables so that both CD-ROM and CD-R are on the same IDE, but then it doesn't detect one... and I tried putting the CD-R with the harddrive, but then it doesn't detect the hard drive (and I did have one set to Master and one to Slave).

I'm really lost at this... I'm thinking something in BIOS got changed, but I don't know BIOS enough to fiddle around with it, if anyone knows of a setting that could cause this, lemme know.

Thanks

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

alright, i'd revert back to what usually works. take the hard disk and put it on ide channel one, then put one of your cd drives on the second channel, then see if there is a problem, if there is, try swapping cd drives, and see if there is still a problem. if there is then it sounds as if something is either wrong with both of your cd drives, or it is your ide controller on your mainboard. but taking your system down to what works is always the place to start with problems like this. if it works with only a hard disk, then add a cd drive, if it works with a cd drive, then add the other one. this way you will see where exactly your machine is choking. if this doesnt help, then this problem is beyond me.

~BoB~

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ah...Has anything been done in BIOS? Setup wise? Are you saying you pop open you drive, insert and bingo "restart" I wonder if there is a setting in the registry that was messed with. I'd check with the M/B maker also before condeming the drive.:bandit:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it was something to do with the harddrive. I was working on it the other day and my hard drive died. It was one of the IBM 60gig ones that was recalled, my friend gave it to me for free. I'm gonna get another one and see if that was the problem, which could be it.

Thanks
-Chris

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, conflicts on the IDE bus could clearly cause what you see, so maybe that was the real problem...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think its the IDE thats the problem. I tried every possible combination on the IDE slots, I've put the hard drive alone on the primary, I've put only one CD-ROM on... I've tried it all (and I did change the Master/Slave pins). I even changed the IDE cable. The only other thing that could be wrong would be the motherboard itself, inwhich case I'm in more trouble...
I noticed though, that I kind of resembled this smily after working on the computer for 5 hours :angry2:

Thanks for your help though
-Chris

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
just a sec

or it is your ide controller on your mainboard.
conflicts on the IDE bus could clearly cause....

ok, to start with, when we referred to the "IDE Bus" or the "IDE Controller" i think we were referring to the section of your mainboard that controls IDE activity. What i was saying was that if it doesnt matter what device it is, then it is most likely the IDE controller. (in most cases today this is part of the mainboard) and when Johnwill referred to the IDE Bus, i am pretty sure he meant the controller part of your mainboard also. this isnt a part that can be replaced, it means the whole mainboard is bad. now on the other hand, if your machine uses a card type IDE controller, then it is in my opinion the card is bad. but if your IDE cables plug into the mainboard, then it doesnt sound like we were all that far off. a cd drive is usually an IDE type, and sometimes are a EIDE type. i am not sure if they ever made SCSI cd drives, but todays devices are mostly IDE, this includes Hard disks, cd drives, some tape drives, most zip drives, and a few other types of media. so if your devices arent working, and they arent themselves bad, then it is most likely your IDE Controller.

~BoB~

·
Registered
5 Posts
me too!

Apparently im suffering from the same problem, just suddenly started today for no reason. Quick search on google led me here. Try to run anything in either DVD drive or CDRW drive and the system reboots without warning. However, I am the only person that touches this computer, and other than installing a couple of video codecs a few days ago I have changed absolutely nothing (uninstalled the codecs, problem didn't go away). Even trying to read from either drive to install a clean OS i get the same instant reboot (which would suggest it's definitely a hardware fault) . Will be too busy over the next few days to take a further look but I'd appreciate any suggestions, and I'll do the same if I find a solution. Just out of interest, what motherboard do you have ? Mine's a Gigabyte GA-7ZXE and has run without a single problem for the last 18 months.

Thanks.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Hello, and welcome to TSF.

I don't know the answer to your problem but I strongly suggest that you start a new thread as it will get more attention that way and won't confuse people as to who is having the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.