Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my cd/dvd drive wont recognize burned discs and also wont burn cds most of the time. The complete name of my drive is HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H21L. Its a Lightscribe drive. My operating system is Windows XP. Ive tried updating the firmware and uninstalled then reinstalled it (it reinstalled automatically), but it still will not work right. Can someone please help me?

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hi Joshua, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

There are a couple of ways that might help you with this issue.

Method One: Remove the registry entry

Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system.

Please Note: If you had installed multiple CD-writing software products on your computer, you need to uninstall the software products before you remove the registry keys.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

4. On the File menu, click Export.

5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.

6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Note: If this data type is missing, go to Method 2.

7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

8. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Method 2: Replace the existing driver

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. If Control Panel is in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click System.

3. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

4. Click the drive with the question mark (?) next to it.

5. On the Action menu, click Uninstall. When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click OK.

6. Repeat steps 4 through 5 for any other drives with question marks.

7. On the Action Menu, click Scan for hardware changes.

Close all windows and reboot the computer.

Please give these two methods a try and post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
429 Posts
Joshua, there are many threads discussing similar problems to yours. You can try search to see how they fixed it and try different things. Here are some links to some topics I participated in to get you started.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f149/solved-computer-cant-recognize-cds-moved-from-xp-256271.html

My suggestions are in Posts 13 and 15.

And this thread talks about some tools I used when I had problems. They didn't help me, but they might help you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f149/dvd-rw-changes-to-cd-rom-252620.html

You could also try tricking Windows into thinking you have new hardware to find.

Turn off the computer, disconnect the cable and power connector. Turn it back on and let Windows load up. Now, turn off your computer again and hook it back up. Start the computer again and see if Windows finds it this time and installs the driver for it.

Sometimes that works better than just reinstalling the drivers in Device Manager.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have tried everything here. Sorry for being so late, Ive been caught up in school and everything else. The only question I have about this is n chauffeur's post in Method 2. Do you mean a literal question mark or the HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H21L driver? If you mean literal, then there are no drivers with question marks beside them. I may have to just buy another driver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.