Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CD/DVD drive is not being recognized on my laptop at all. It does not show up in My Computer or Device Manager. I already deleted the upper and lower filters and updated the BIOS. I tried the Microsoft fix it tool, but it did not help at all. The CD/DVD drive has power since it will open and close when I press it. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Please help!

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Hi, welcome to TSF

xoxrobot, if you've already tried the filters registry edit and MS fix tool and the drive is receiving power, see if the data cable has come loose.

hdloverforever, this problem sometimes occurs when you install or uninstall CD-burning software. Go to Start > Run > regedit and remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values from this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Class \ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Then reboot to complete.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Is the drive listed in My Computer (Windows Explorer)? Also, is it listed in BIOS?

Can you see the contents of any other disks? Try CDs and DVDs. If it can only see CDs, the DVD laser might be damaged or need to be cleaned.

If you're only having trouble with one particular disk, check for scratches and test it in another computer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No the drive isnt listed in My Computer.
What would BIOS be? Sorry, I dont know what that means. haha
I've tried multiple cds and they don't work.
I just tried a dvd and it didn't work either.

Is it possible that I may need to replace the whole drive because its fried?

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Same advice as for xoxrobot - open the laptop and check the data cable. If you don't feel comfortable opening the laptop or it will void your warranty, take it to your local PC repair store (or ask a computer geek friend if they can help you :grin:)

The drive is connected to your laptop by a power cable and a data cable.

If the drive tray opens and closes, the power cable is connected and working. But if the drive is not listed in My Computer, then it could be a problem with the data cable being faulty or not properly connected. Or, as you say, the drive could be faulty and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll have my dad do it. He's quite computer savvy! :D
Thanks! If its connected right and I need to replace the drive, can I PM you to help me find one that will work for my laptop? My dad told me to do that earlier, so I did and I couldn't find anything.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
If it needs to be replaced, start a new thread in the Hardware-Laptops forum and include the make/model of your laptop so whoever replies can help you to find a good deal on a compatible drive. If you don't get a reply after 24 hours, send me a PM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already deleted the upper and lower filters as stated, and my CD drive opens and closes as it should. It seems that no one can understand what the problem is, including myself. I'm completely stumped as to what to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My problem was the data cable. My dad said it was a little loose.
But now its not working again, I think because my computer was moving around, it is loose again. ugh.
I'll have my dad fix it again when I see him next.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.