Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First off I would like to thank you for having me on your site and for any possible assistance you may be able to provide. I am using a Gateway m520 notebook with a Slimtype LSC-24082K COMBO drive. Everything worked fine before I replaced my hard drive. Once I installed the new hard drive and set up Windows XP, I tried to burn a CD using Windows Media Player and kept getting a "0xC00D11AB: Cannot copy files to recordable disc" error telling me to clean the disc, use a different one or select a different write speed. I am using the same discs I used before and have tried using several new ones. I tried using other programs and got various "write protect" and code errors. Also, when I try to play a DVD i get a "DVD decoder error." The drive can still read and play CDs, but thats all it can do. I have updated the firmware with no result. If I plug my old hard drive back in the burner and DVD player work again, but unfortunately the hard drive is bad and only lasts 5 or 10 minutes. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I downloaded a freeware DVD player and the DVDs play through that, I just can't get windows media player to play one. I heard you need version 10? I have version 9 something...I checked my device manager and all I see for codecs are "Audio Codecs" and "Video Codecs"... I am not sure if these are what your referring to since I don't know what a codec is....or where to find the proper software or codecs. As for the 0xC00D11AB burn error, i'll take a look when I get home for a Nero plug in on windows media player, although I don't remember even installing Nero software on this hard drive since all I have installed so far is Windows XP from my recovery disc. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I checked for the Nero Plug in and it wasn't even there. I haven't tried downloading the codecs yet (only had 30 minute lunch). Would the codecs effect the cd burning? That's mainly what I am concerned about now, the dvd issue isn't as inmportant to me. I tried editing the registry (Microsoft Support Document 316529) and found there was no value for my cd burner. I changed the field from "no value" to "1" and also tried "2" in accordance to the document. Tried burning again and instead of getting the error now it just freezes at about 50-55% and I did not see the light on my drive light up once. I restarted, and tried using DeepBurn instead. Before it would say "WRITER ERROR [ILLEGAL REQUEST(WRITE PROTECTED)]" when I tried to burn. Now that I changed the registry value to "1" and afterwards "2" it says it cannot detect my CD writer. Any advice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so if I install media player v.11 (after drive re-installation) do I still need to worry about downloding codecs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Followed instructions...tried to burn with WMP11 froze at 98%...it said writing to disc but once again I didn't see any activity on the light indicator. Tried Deepburn and it says I don't have a CD writer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it's just that one program that says I don't have a writer...WMP11 says I have one and I can access the recording tab under properties and all that stuff. It appears in Device Manager and My Computer and will play CDs and DVDs, I just can't get it to burn when my new hard drive is in...it only burns with the old hard drive =(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well my combo drive hasn't changed. It's my Hard Drive I changed, went from a bad 40GB to a new 80 GB...The burner is what came stock with my system. So it is on whatever cable it has always been on. The only thing I did was take out my C: drive and put a new C: drive in and started installing everything, and now my drive won't burn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes I do If I need to...I checked the registry after I uninstalled the drive and added it again and it went back to how it was before I messed with it. The only difference now is I don't get the original 0xC00D11AB error anymore when I try to burn on WMP....I am not sure if that has to do with the registry or if its the new version of WMP I installed. It just says writing to CD and eventually gets stuck and I never see any action on the cd drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No there's no marks next to it in Device Manager...I only have marks next to my modem and ethernet controller which I don't use. It says it's working properly in device manager

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.