Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 years ago, my CD drive broke as every time I tried to open it, the tray wouldn't eject to let me put something in. Dell replaced it since I was under warranty.

Now I think the same thing is happening. About 30% in the last few days, it took multiple tries on the eject button to get the drive to open up.

Most of the times it's working, but the other times I hear the drive trying to open, then it goes back in and the green light flashes.

Should I get Dell to replace the drive again? Is there any reason why my drives keep failing?

(Yes, I know the paper clip trick, but this is happening way too often, and without media in the drive. So far, the drive eventually opens.)

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,257 Posts
It's in the early stages of failing . . If Dell declines to replace it, you can buy a high quality unit for not a lot of money

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Rich,

Recognized you from Tech Support Guy.

Is the drive still OK to use in the mean time, until I can get Dell out here? It won't physically break any CDs, will it? And if it gets stuck, the paper clip mechanism will work?

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,257 Posts
As long as it works, it should be ok to use . . It shouldn't break anything . . sometimes a reboot will let it open if it balks . . paperclip thingie usually works

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 11
Source: Cdrom
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR

Explanation
This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer.

User Action
Replace the cable.
From Event Viewer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.