Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First, allow me address the issue at hand. The problem I am currently experiencing could not be found on Google using any of the many word variations I used, so I'm figuring "running hot" isn't even the proper term for this. It was 2 days ago that I decided to install an old game (Rainbow Six 3 RS) onto my Vista computer. At first I expected it not to work at all, so when the installation began and finished I was quite delighted. Delighted enough to ignore how loud and hot my CD-Drive was running. I booted up again yesterday, noticing it was still loud and hot, even when not running the software, but I ignored it and went straight to work. My computer than decided to freeze and I had no option but to manual shut down. After boot up, the computer was quieter and cooler. Thats when I noticed the CD-Drive wasn't making a single chirp. When I went to examine, first I saw that the computer didn't recognize an "E" drive. Secondly I noticed that the eject button was non-responsive.

I think it burned it out, but it was running fine before. It was quieter with any other disc. Also when I ejected the disc with a paper clip and put it in my better drive (DVD 16x etc... really nice stuff) I saw that this drive as well would get louder and hotter. Not wanting to burnout this one, I removed the disc, and tried another. Sure enough, quiet as it had always been.

The computer is custom and specs are as follows:
2.4 GHz Intel Dual Core
2 G's of Ram
(1) NVidia 8800 GTS
NVidia 680i Motherboard
Gigabyte Chassis 3D Aurora (Tower)
500 G SATA Hard Disk
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (32)

Everything else is stock.

Help,
-Oreo

P.S. It is notable enough to include that the device manager in the control panel still lists the burnt out drive.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.