Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a stupid question, but I can't find the answer and was hoping someone could help.

I have 2 compters with XP OS. When I insert a cd (for instance a new game for my son that needs to be installed), it never runs automatically. I have to click start and run, then find the installation icon to run it. When I first got on XP I thought perhaps my older CD's weren't recognized. This weekend I was helping a friend with a computer and all cds run automatically on her computer (she has XP OS as well).

Can someone please tell me how to change this on my computer?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe the link you gave will work only if she had a specific program she wanted to use when she inserted a CD, such as Winamp for playing a burned CD, or PowerDVD if she inserts a DVD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Resolution, but note the instructions you refer to apply to:

• Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
• Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
• Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition

I'm running XP.

I've searched for the same type of resolution for XP, but haven't found anything.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sorry about that. The key is in the same place for XP, it just has a different value.

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

The hexadecimal value should be 91

·
Banned
102 Posts
Sasha,

To set autorun for your CD or DVD-ROM drive open My Computer, right click on your optical drive and choose Propeties, choose the Auto Play tab and choose the type of file you want to autorun from the drop down menu, then under Actions mark the button next to Select and action to perform, then choose the application you want to use to Auto Play your disk from the list provided.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
ibrokeit said:
Sasha,
To set autorun for your CD or DVD-ROM drive open My Computer, right click on your optical drive and choose Propeties, choose the Auto Play tab and choose the type of file you want to autorun from the drop down menu, then under Actions mark the button next to Select and action to perform, then choose the application you want to use to Auto Play your disk from the list provided.
Andy128 already suggested that. :smile:

·
Banned
102 Posts
Oops, I didn't click on Andy's link. :embarased

AFAIK, that's the only way to set auto play in WinXP -- by selecting an action for each file type.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sure, if you know what program you want to open the CD with, but say you wanted put a Windows CD in the tray, or game CD. What program would you choose to run that? As far as I know, and I could be wrong, there is none that you can select. That's why there is an Autorun.inf file on the CD that tells Windows to run a setup.exe file located on the CD, but for some reason, Sasha's computer is not reading this file for whatever reason.

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
Here's another idea: Go to the Microsoft website and download TweakUI for XP (available from this page - right hand side, about halfway down)

Install and run the tool, then in the menu in TweakUI, go to My Computer -> AutoPlay -> Drives. Make sure every drive in here is ticked, then hit OK.

If everything is already ticked, untick everything, click apply, retick everything and hit apply again. Hopefully this should sort out the problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have pro then:
Start > Run > GPEDIT.MSC > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > look for "Turn Autoplay Off" and change

:sayyes:

else i have no clue! lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
Do want it to autoplay all the time or would you like to select the program from that list. I dont understand why Alex's suggestion wouldnt work or resolutions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ReeKorl - Tweak UI did the trick! THANKS!

BTW, my XP is Home, not Pro and I was not very enthused about messing with the registry.

Thanks again!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.