Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 40x cd burner to decrease burning time....i originally had a 4x burner and it tooka about 20 minutes to complete an audio cd.....with mt new 40x burner and 40x compatible cd's it still takes the same amount of time to make a cd..why hasnt anything changed?? and what can i do to fix it>?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i noticed that too, my burner burns at different speeds too, but it always takes 20 minutes.

if someone can explain why faster isnt faster, id like to hear it..

(and yes, i made sure it is trying to burn at a higher speed, and it claims to be burning faster, but takes an equal amount of time...)

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Hmm... I have no idea what you guys are seeing. I have a 52x24x52x CD-RW in this machine, and it cranks out a completely full 80 minute audio CD in less than 5 minutes. I use Nero 5.5.10.50.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ive seen this happen before to people. For some they had the drive set to master on the secondary or slave on sec. For some reason it just had to be weird like that. Another thing that really suprised me was the IDE cable used to connect the drives to the mobo. I ended up switching the thicker threaded 40pin cable with the fine threaded IDE, normally the same type used for HDD. AFter that it worked. Hope this helps :)

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i have had my machine set up all different ways, and no difference...

on top of that, it reports that it is burning at 24x, but takes 20 mins...

and if i burn at 8x or 12x it takes 20 mins...

·
Registered
11 Posts
ahhh well... i guess im not really sure then... sorry. Hopefully someone will be able to help as i think this could be useful in the future.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well, i have to say i was inacurrate.

i just tested it

i burned a cd at 8x and it was 12 minutes
i burned one at 24x and it was 11 minutes.

i dont see much of a difference.

(same image, same burner, same blanks)

~BoB~

S

·
0 Posts
Whenever I have a speed problem with Nero I just run the programs pictured below and it sets the speed correctly.

Attachments

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
yeah i did that....

the burner claims to be burning at the correct speed, but it isnt getting done much faster..

im confused about it, and i cant answer the question as to why this might be

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
OK, fired up Nero and dragged 81 minutes of music in MP3 format to it, and started the burn process. It so happens that the media that's sitting on the desk is 24x compatible, so that's the speed I burned at. In 4:12, the trumpet sounded, and I had a completed music CD. If it takes 12 minutes for the same process, something is amiss on your system. I have noticed that recording at 48x I only get a reduction of time to about 3 minutes, but I never bothered to analyze that, since it's plenty fast. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Ooh Ooh..........:D

Did you look in the device manager to see if DMA was enabled?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i cant speak for charmuda
but as for me, i havent had dma enable for so long....

i actually forget why i disabled it.

ill try that though, but there was a reason... *wonders what it was*
~BoB~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.