Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer suffered water damage recently due to a pipe break in my building. :sigh: I had to have my essential files from My Documents and other folders backed up on a cd as my computer would no longer boot. I have tried to access the files on the cd from another computer and am having major issues. The folder structure is still intact, and I see all of my saved files exactly as they existed on my old computer. My documents and pictures are all there, and each has their original (and unique) filesize and dates. When I try to access a MS Word file in Word 2002, the documents open, but are all multiple pages and completely blank. Opening the same documents with Office 2007, I see nothing but pages of squares (the same character usually denoting a space). These documents were created in a mix of Office 2003 and Office 2007, and all are exhibiting the same characteristics now. I have tried opening these documents in Wordpad & Notepad, as well as changing formatting, etc. and they are still blank. Anyone have any ideas? The reason this is so frustrating is because the file sizes are still intact, almost as if each character was somehow just converted to a space. The pictures on the cd are also the same size, but will not open when I attempt to view them. I just get the can not display preview dialog. I am mostly concerned with the documents here as I absolutely need to recover them, but the issue with the pictures might shed some light here. Any help here is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!!!! :grin:

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,884 Posts
How were they accessed and moved ("backed up") to CD? It's possible the HDD was corrupt and/or the tool used didn't copy any of the files. The file information can be copied even if the files are corrupt with results such as you are now seeing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately no. I needed to take the computer into a technician to pull the drive and attempt to access the files. I am not sure how he recovered the data, but he must have not verified the files were actually copied to the CD besides looking at the folder structure. Still have the computer so I suppose I will see if I can have someone load the drive and actually open the files. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.