Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My job has recently ratched up the want/requirement to become CCNA certified as well as MCSE (don't want the MCSE) and I want to find a reputable training center in portland oregon or seattle washington :) Can someone point me to a place that won't give ya the screw job so to speak and will help get you certified without costing an arm and leg (meaning over 2g's)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Do you have to go to a boot camp? You could spend less than $1000 on 2 or 3 routers on Ebay and a couple of books and teach yourself - you'd learn more, and have the equipment to show for it.

It's not that hard if you have some experience with networking.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A boot camp isn't necessary.. I've just been told thats the way to go .. if you suggest a couple routers and books.. hey I've got no problem with that :) I do have some exerience in networking since I work for an ISP ;) And I've learned to hate BGP heh. Which routers would you suggest purchasing? I work currenty with Cisco 2500 series and 7500 series and the catalyst line of switches.. our only non-cisco production product we use on the networking side of things is a Redback Networks DSL aggregation router.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Ah, so you want to test my CCDA knowledge of routers eh ... ;)

Ummm ... 2500's or 2600's. Make sure you get them with multiple ethernet interfaces - so you can easily set up a couple of networks through a switch or hub. You can also set some up with serial back to back.

I think the 2500's to 2600's typically go for around $300 ea on Ebay.

I would really recommend getting the equipment and some good books and doing it that way - you'll come out much more ahead than the bootcamp - plus you can always use the routers to further your Cisco Career certs - onward to CCNP!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to get your ideas on a 2501 router, seems those are the most common on Ebay.. they only come with one E-net port but int S0 and S1 :) if I recall (and I'm probably wrong) can't you pop an AUI connector on that port on these suckers and use that as a secondary e-net port?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
No. These would be very limited and you won't get to play with any routing protocols, such as RIP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.