Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the pins on the back of the unit was pressed in @ 3/4 of the way. I pulled it out as gently as I could (not quite flush with the rest of the pins.) tried it, wasn't reading, it also felt hot within the first minute or two of power up. Is there no hope for it?
Thanks
Mark

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Was this particular pin touching another pin while the drive was on?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I'm not exactly sure if it would, but it would certainly be a possibility.

By "pressed in", do you mean the pin was impacted into the plastic of the connector?

If so, then you may need to look into finding a way to reconnect that pin to the printed circuit board of the HD, as it may have broken the connection.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes impacted straight in through the plastic leaving @ 1/4 of the total area of the pin visible from the outside.
Have you ever heard of a drive heating up that fast?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I haven't had much experience with hard drives overheating, but I can tell you that having the connection of one of the pins broken might have been the cause of the overheating. In any case, you will probably need to find a way to reconect that pin if it is broken.

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,285 Posts
Go to the auto parts store, buy a "rear defrost repair kit", and use it to make a connection between the pin and the circuit board if it broke loose there. All you need out of it is the copper paint. I had a power pin pull loose on a hard drive and I used this method to fix it...and it hasn't slowed down since.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anatomy

I have never been inside of a hard drive.
Which side should I go in from. Is there any spring
type components that are going to pop out on me?
The bottom or pcb side seems to be. Right?
Thanks
Mark

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
You really won't have to open it up to the point where you can see the platters; you only need to find the place where the pin was soldered to the board before it broke. I'd reccommend that you search the internet for articles on repairing hard drives to get a better ideal of how to go about fixing it without making things worse.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Midnight Tech said:
Go to the auto parts store, buy a "rear defrost repair kit", and use it to make a connection between the pin and the circuit board if it broke loose there. All you need out of it is the copper paint. I had a power pin pull loose on a hard drive and I used this method to fix it...and it hasn't slowed down since.
YIKES! Why not just solder it with the proper materials? :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.